
I have a little tradition; every year I take myself off to DJ's (a big department store) to see their Spring flower show. It's on the first week of Spring every year, and each year there's a new theme. This year the theme is Animalia, based on the book by Graeme Base. It was a bit more kitch than other years (giant pink pussy cats, zebras with zebra eggs, red butterfly's and a unicorn), and there wasn't very much fragrance, but it still filled me with delight.
I adopted this tradition from a flatmate I had when I first moved to this city, over 13 years ago now. She was about 40 and wore green contact lenses. She used to get all dressed up in her finest and take herself off to see the flower show and eat chocolate coated strawberries... Her very own version of Breakfast at Tiffany's. I don't do the dress-up thing, but I've managed to see the show almost every year since then.
Yesterday I went. I spent the afternoon visiting all my favourite old haunts around the city (fabric shops, book shops, galleries, etc), soaking up the atmosphere, trying to absorb as much as I can before we depart.
We move at the beginning of next week. This afternoon we're having drinks with our friends to bid them farewell. I feel... um, pensive?? Apprehensive to say goodbye. Hard to believe that the day has finally come.










1 comment:
Hello!
I nominated you for a Rockin' Girl Blogger at my blog. Did I tell you about it?
You are great girl + artist!
hugs!
Marjorie
Post a Comment