flossy-p home

Friday, June 03, 2005

how she came to be

At the tender age of 9, a wild Scottish woman (a friend of my parents'), convinced me without a hint of a doubt that my name was Alice Flossy Pumpernickel.

"No" I retorted adamantly, "that's not my name. I'm Sarah". But with a twinkle in her eye, she trickily convinced me that everyone is born with a "real" name (much like a Cabbage Patch Kid), and that mine was Alice Flossy Pumpernickel. She told me my parents had changed it when I was born to one that was more socially acceptable. She even said my sister was called Dorothy something (I can't remember).

She had me so convinced that I angrily confronted my parents, demanding they fess-up. The Easter Bunny the Tooth Fairy and now THIS! They looked at me with absolute confusion, I assumed they were denying it, which added more fuel to the flame.

It took me some years to realise the wild scotts woman was pulling my wee leg. However, Alice Flossy Pumpernickel somehow stuck in the private depths of my mind, and here she has surfaced to share with you many of her gullible realisations.

16 comments:

Amy said...

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. I can completely see this as a gorgeous picture book. Have you thought of writing one?

wonil said...

i agree with Amy. nice story, and it's such a lovely and fantastic idea that people are born with special names that they eventually forget. you should do something.

Anonymous said...

that's a fun story (though i imagine the wee version of you in it didn't find it so funny, back then)

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious. And I like the idea. What a great mischievious lady! It would so make a great kid's book.

trowbridge chronicles said...

I hope you find those shrew pinkies that you've been looking for. Thanks for the nice comment.

Ian T. said...

I concur with the previous posters - this would make a great children's book. As for the Easter bunny and the Tooth Fairy (and, er, Santa Claus too, really) - it's a form of lying to your children, which I don't quite approve of - fortunately, our children always seemed to know the truth :).

Maria Eugenia said...

Hi! Thank you so much for your comment!
Hope to see you again! Very nice story!

Brine Blank said...

You know this is funny. Glad to see I'm not the only one to mess with their kids. I told my oldest daughter she was "hannah of the boat people' and was rescued after falling off a nomad's boat into the river. Since we couldn't find her real parents we took her in. The middle daughter is 'sarah of the lemurs' who fell of her momma lemur's back to the jungle below...we tripped over her and her crying scared of her relatives and they never came back...

nicole falk said...

i LOVE this story..i want to meet this woman and learn my silly name...

Greg Hartman said...

Fantastic story Alice Flossy! I like that wild Scottish woman...I can imagine the whole scene so well, with your befuddled parents looking at one another, hilarious!
Thanks for your comment and I'm intrigued on your proposal with the green guy and jewelry or T's!?
??????????????????????????????????

Cynthia DiBlasi - Fine Art said...

I love that story! You should definitely make it a children's book. My father used to tell me all kinds of wild things when I was a kid, my favorite being that I was going to turn into a boy when I turned 12! I cried and cried, but have a good laugh about it now.

Anonymous said...

Haha...such a cool story!

I think that artists frequently have early realizations that things are not as they seem.
My father used to tell me that the plastic bags I saw blowing in tree limbs were just the ones they forgot to harvest. Like a stray fruit left on a tree in an orange grove.
When we went to a fast-food restaurant and you see the ketchup pumps (where you squeeze what you want into a plastic cup), he used to tell me that they had to position the restaurants in just the right places because they had to be above the ketchup wells. As though there were deep resevoirs of sweet tomato paste running through the earth.

Yah, I believed all of it, too!

Bethel of Bethania said...

Wooh I'd of loved to have had a wild scotts woman telling me tales like this ... wouldn't you love to have had her as ya wee scottish grandmama - shame I didn't hear of it before as I'm sure I could of convinced my Grandies with tales like this but sadly they are at school now & know wayyyy too much... OOroo ... Bethel

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

LOL -- I love the story about your name! What fun (well, maybe not at the time), but in retrospect.

I'll be back -- my first time here!

Melanie said...

LOL...I LOVE it!!

First time to your fun blog...and enjoyed every minute!! :)

Felicity said...

I'm so glad that I've found you [via tinniegirl]!
I too am a Flossy but my 'namer' was my one year old niece.
Felicity was obviously two syllables too many, so Flossy I became and I love it.
It will be a pleasure exploring your space and receiving regular gifts of serendipity as I follow along.

x Flossy