flossy-p home

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

wedding: setting the scene

So here we go. Weddingy Wednesday is back!

I do apologise for the super-extended gap between the actual event and me telling you about it. But I'm ready to go now. So those of you who were out-weddinged in the lead-up you may want to switch channels for the next week. The rest of you, strap yourselves in.


Setting the Scene:

We were married in the garden of Mr You's parents house. They live on the banks of a big river in rural northern NSW, surrounded by cane farms. Other than Mr You's family, everyone else had to travel great distances to get there, most live at least 10 hours away, so they all made a holiday of it.

The days prior to the wedding were really really WINDY! And on the morning of the wedding it apparently rained (though I was too busy to even notice), and in town it rained all day. But during the wedding where we were the weather turned miraculously perfect. The wind vanished, the sun came out and the temperature was lovely.

We kept it small. Fifty guests all up, plus a few babies and children. So it was immediate family and close friends only.

Overall the mood of the day was relaxed as people soaked in the beautiful scenery.
Later in the night it turned into a big old party of course, but in the meantime...

TreeSign

We made signs to help people find their way:

WeddingSign

CeremonySign

The ceremony was under some big mango trees on the riverbank.
Mr You's parents have four church pews that came from the church his dad went to as a child. They are 100 years old!:

CeremonySetting

After the ceremony, our guests were drawn to the river. We had a day bed and chairs awaiting them, we pulled the pews over, and everyone spent the afternoon mingling and watching the sun sink over the wide river:

ChillinOnTheRiverBank

Friends

RiverBankScene

Sunset

We had a marquee for the reception - which was lucky because just as everyone had sat down to eat, the heavens opened and it rained... Only for 10 mins though, just enough time to dry up ready for when we had finished eating and wanted to go back outside. I told you the weather was miraculous!:

MinglingOutsideMarquee

MarqueeAtNight


So, that's the first instalment. Don't worry, I will be bombarding you with details. ;)

13 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds like my dream wedding to attend as a guest, and those photos are spectacular!

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. Girl that wedding of yours looks INCREDIBLE. I love that it was intimate. It looks so BEAUTIFUL and memorable and personal and just WOW!

I HAVE to see pics of you. You better not even think you can get out of that.

Renee would definitely have loved to have seen these. But you know what? You guys had such a special and unique friendship, that she already knows that your wedding would have been magic. She knows honey. Thinking of you. xxx

Jacinta said...

What a stunning setting - how lucky you were to have such beautiful surrounds. I'm so glad the weather looked after you. What a perfect day for you all.

Geek+Nerd said...

The signs! Amazing! I can't wait to see more. I love wedding photos!

Katrina Jackson said...

What a beautiful, intimate setting for a wedding. I'm so glad the weather was so cooperative...and that you are sharing all the details! :) Those church pews are amazing, I can't wait to see more!

Regina said...

THank you for sharing these! sounds and looks like a beautiful day. We were married during the monsoon season. Everyone kept telling us how stupid we were to plan an outdoor wedding during monsoon season but there were no other dates available. It poured the day before and the day after too, but not one drop of rain fell that day.

I am so sorry to hear about your friend Renee. It is heartbreaking. Sharing your wedding with us in honor of her is a beautiful thing to do. Thank you.

Chrisy said...

Such a beautiful setting...the trees...the river...and wow those church pews (Mr You obviously comes from a family of classy people!)
ps i think i can see Renee perched up the tree in that last photo...smiling and watching...delighting in your happiness...

Jenny Bean said...

It looks like it was absolutely enchanting. Congratulations to you and Mr. You (I don't think I had a chance to say so before, i haven't been around for sometime!) I wish you both the very best in your new life together!

Susan Schwake said...

it is every bit as beautiful as could be! mango trees! they are incredible looking. with the flowing branches and white fabric flowing across. oh i can't wait to see more dear flossy. we are enjoying watching the details unfold. beautiful....

victoria said...

Okay, that looks absolutely beautiful and amazing. What a setting!!!

.girl ferment. said...

sounds so relaxed and the venue perfect.
congratulations.

that illuminated marquee photograph is magic.
xx

Hila said...

oh wow, just wow, wow!! I don't know what else to say :)
This sounds like my kind of wedding, everyone looks so happy and relaxed.

Anastasia said...

wow! it all looks so inviting - amazing details