Oh Lordy how I have been pining for a spare 10 minutes this week! The mums among you out there will want to slap me till I'm all sorts of red when I say this, but I never knew how much time it takes when you're looking after someone. Since Mr You smashed his elbow this time last week, we've had a week of back and forth from the hospital, x-rays, catscans, hours and hours of waiting, surgery, recovery, and now all the homecare. His surgery didn't go to plan; I won't go into all the details, but a 1hr surgery turned into 5hrs all up. But he's safely back at home now, and all is well and slowly on the mend. He's still really dozy, and fragile, and being his right arm, he needs help with almost everything. I also feel compelled to keep the house as sterile as possible, so I've been doing more chores than I thought I was capable of. This elusive notion of a "spare 10 minutes" has become quite mythical this week.
In normal life, a spare 10 minutes would buy me a quiet cup of tea while flipping through the local paper, or catching up on news from my favourite fellow bloggers.
This week however, I've been dying to get a spare 10 minutes just so I could get to the computer to announce my give-away!
So here it is:
To celebrate our first year in our new town, I wanted to tip my hat a little to how much this new environment has inspired and fulfilled me. I developed a little set of paper tags, (that I've had in my mind for years now), for the August Pikapackage, and I've kept 5 sets for this give-away.
I won't tell too much about the cards themselves just yet, other than to say they're very small, there's 5 in each set, you give them away, they're require you to notice the beauty around you, and then reward it. They are a type of encouragement card and random act of kindness all rolled into one.
So, tell me what inspires you about the suburb/town where you live, what makes you feel good about being there.
All comments on this post will be included in a random draw, and I'll announce the 5 winners on Friday 19th Sept (this Friday).

21 comments:
They sound lovely and what the world needs much, much more of. I love the peace and quiet of our town, it allows for quiet reflection.
Hope Mr You mends quickly!
Hey - at least with kids you get a bit of downtime when they have a nap!! Poor Mr You, and poor Flossy-P. Hope he recovers quickly!
Such a gorgeous giveaway..
What inspires me around my area? The trees, it's so leafy, when I go for a walk, I loose my thoughts and daydream the entire walk away. Planning tree houses, cubby houses etc to build with my babes. That's what I love about this area, the leafiness.
Hey, I'm not going to resort to physical violence, I'll just smile smugly and nod my head in a sage-like yet condescending manner....he he he only joking. I hope Mr You is on the improve, and that you manage to find a bit of time to take care of yourself as well! So, what inspires me about where I live? The fact that I get to look through palm tops and see glorious sunsets over the not too distant mountains. And the fact that it is mostly always green around here, and there is always so much moisture in the air. And it makes me feel earthy and alive :)
oh no!!! 5hr surgery??? the poor guy!!!
good to hear he is home but agree it must be very exhausting for you! i love love your card packs!!
what inspires me about where I live - even though we live in Australia's busiest cities its nice to see that suburbian greenery, the sound of grass being mowed on a saturday morning, streets lined with old & beautiful trees! family life - a mix of young families and old people - i love the little old men who sit at the local cafes, they immigrated to Australia with pretty much nothing but have now made it home...
Glad all is on the mend. I am close to nature where I live-near the sea-very grounding and love the peace and quiet-loving your spare 10 minutes!
Oh wow, a give-away! They look beautiful.
I live in one of Canada's most active art cities, Montreal. There are dozens of galleries all over the place, as well as yearly art festivals and events going on all the time. I try not to get too caught up in that, though, as I find it more distracting than anything else. I'd have to say that my inspiration from the city comes from the old architecture. Especially down by the Old Port, it looks insanely European, with cobblestone streets even. The people are also very inspiring, since the culture here is so diverse.
I hope Mr. You mends well and rapidly. :)
i feel good when it turns to spring and everyone heads out to the beach!
i love seeing all your friends there and eating icecream and reading and everyone is so content.
I live in Salt Lake City, UT. What I love most about Salt Lake is the Mountains. They completely surround the valley here and I love to watch as they change with the seasons. Fall is my favorite, I love to watch the mountains turn shades of red, gold, and brown as the leaves change.
The nuturing of someone you love who has been a)sick b)operated on is very tiring and trying no matter how much you lovee them. When the bulk of the responsibilities falls on your shoulders it's a big weight to to take on..However after going through something similar this year with my daughter, as you know (not with titanium tho)...My respect levels and inspiration came from being back in my community (my normal environment I was taking for granted!) so little things became of interest..wind in the trees, rain on the roof, sun streaming through the window..a walk to the local bakery, a morning "hello" to stranger whilst off to buy the paper. People getting on with their lives as you come to realise yours has been turned upside down by an event out side of your control..a hospital is a surreal environment....Your tags sum all should be important with appreciating your environment beautifully...respecting and being one with nature...very important.
I should have added tho, I really hope your husband is recovering well, you can't take away from what he has experienced!
ooh, sorry to hear about the surgery, that sounds nasty. All the best to him, and patience to you!
I have recently moved to my suburb too, less than a year ago, and what makes me feel good about our little street is that already in this short period of time I feel a real sense of community, more than I have anywhere since my childhood. Yesterday my neighbour who I have met *once* came by and gave us a big bag full of broccoli, spinach and lemons from their garden. That made me feel REALLY good! xx
Hey - I have come over here all breathless.. I can't see your email addy, so I am here to let you know (though you probably already know?!) that you were mentioned on Bloesem, here's the linky dink: http://bloesem.blogs.com/bloesem/2008/09/the-weekly-ga-1.html
Go You!
I hope Mr. You gets better soon - for both of your sakes!
The thing that inspires me the most around here is the ocean...I just love it!
I hope he heals quickly! I am inspired by the smell of the ocean (I live near the beach), I love driving to work in the morning and smelling the fresh clean air, and the smokey bonfires at night.
I hope he's getting better...
The only thing I like about my neighbourhood is that I'm pretty close to the beach and I have nice walks around. The fact that some of my friends live close gives it an extra point.
:)
My husband busted his chin doing tricks on his bike. Then there was a race-car crash with several broken ribs and then a few minor surgeries for other ordeals, so yes, it is very similar to having a child :0)
Sorry, I got side tracked there. Your little cards look so sweet. Since Tucson is only an hour away from the Mexico Border, our town is sprinkled with beautiful Mexican culture. There are beautiful murals, amazing tile work and brightly colored homes throughout the city. We also get to eats lots of delicious Mexican food.
Hope Mr. You is feeling lots better very very soon!
I am trying to get back into doing some artsy stuff. This is a longtime struggle and finally just decided to start sketching stuff again. as such, the old industrial buildings in sheffield are making some good drawing subjects.
I recall watching my dad's friend break his arm on his first attempt on a skateboard when i was a kid. kinda made me feel sick to my stomach. glad things are on the mend
I live in a suburb called Hamilton, in a city called Newcastle, Australia. I've travelled the world, been to boarding school, but I've never felt as much at home as I do here.
Hamilton is five minutes away from the beach, has the best restaurants, all that awesome ease of living stuff, but I love it especially because the people are lovely and if feels like a small town in the middle of the city.
Don't feel bad for admitting that you find something difficult or however it was that you put it. My sister has a robot arm too, she tried to splash a guy at the ocean baths, slipped and broke her arm (I think they called it a spiral fracture... whatever it was, it was just smashed). I've never seen someone in so much pain.
She was pretty knocked around by it so my mum had to do pretty much everything, she said it was like having a toddler again. So hats off to you, and I hope it all goes well.
I'll be keeping Mr. You in my thoughts and sending healing vibes down under.
Please include me in the draw- I so very much love your work!!
am i too late?
my town inspires me because of the time we have and people embrace that.
the dramatic weather also inspires me.
xx
i feel like i am cheating because i have so many fabulous flossy things already. but these look so fun, i can't help myself!
i love this place i live because you can always see the sky, wide and open and almost always blue.
Post a Comment