
As if I wasn't spoilt enought last week Mr You got me my very first digital camera for my birthday (before that I had been using his). It's sooooo cool and the perfect size to carry around in my bag, exactly what I have wanted for ages. Spoilt!!!
Then, just by chance, some other gear I'd had on order arrived last week too. It's all very exciting at my house, so many new toys to play with. One of them is a scanner. Some of you may know I've been researching different types for ages now and I eventually decided on one. Thank-you to those who patiently answered my questions about the various scanners you use, much more helpful than the nonchalant sale assistants, I can assure you.
Anyway, hopefully this new stuff will help me in the process of having some of my illo's printed. I did a test run today on some thank-you cards I have made to send to the friends who came to my party. Ironically the 'thank-you's' are in the style of my 'sorry' illo from last week. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of them considering how much hillarity the original photo created.I don't have any experience with printing, so if anyone has tips on printing watercolours please bring lay 'em on me. Especially the issue of printing paper texture; do you print the paper texture onto smooth stock, or textured stock? Does printed texture on top of paper texture look weird? Also, I'm getting slight shadows on the edges of of my scans from where the paper has wrinkled a bit (no matter how much I press or iron the paper flat first). Ideally I'd love to print back out on textured paper, I guess I just have to do some tests.










5 comments:
Congrats on the new scanner and camera!
I usually place a few sheets of paper (big enough to cover the whole scanning bed and fall over the sides) on top of whatever I'm scanning to protect it from getting too much glare and also to help flatten the paper out. Another thing to help get rid of the edges is to press down on the scanner cover as it is scanning.
You'll have to experiment with textured paper and textured print to see what you like...
Enjoy your new toys! I recently got a super-duper printer at home (kinda unplanned) but what I really wanted was my own scanner!
Hey flossy-p! First of all thanks for your comment on my blog. It is one of those events that rattles you for a while but then you realise that no one was hurt and that's the main thing (although I tend to live by the "everything happens for a reason" mantra and can't seem to figure this one out)
Anyway, I wish I had some words of wisdom for your printing dilemmas but was just going to say I'd be interested to hear the outcomes as I'll soon be dealing with the same quandaries. Also which scanner did you end up getting?
Happy playing with your new toys!
I ended up with the new Epson v700. It's expensive (but I had pay owing to me from work, so I got it through them). I tried out a few different models and read lots of reviews. The one I chose had bad reviews for neg scanning (but I'm not sure any flatbed can scan roll film very well anyway), but apparently it has a 'more superior' lamp which contributes to it's excellent colour matching for flatbed. This is why I chose it in the end. I'm still experimenting with it, but I'll keep you posted on what I think and how it fits in with the whole 'reproduction' process.
Hi Flossy-P. Just found your blog through Full Instrumental...I love the sketch of you and your sister in the dresses, as well as the story that goes with it!
i've been away from the computer for a few days, and look what i've missed! i have all sorts of comments - your birthday gifts look so lovely and i'm so glad you gave us a peek - i want to find that book of handbags! a new camera - wow! i can't wait to see more from you, hooray to the mister! and your drawing class endeavors are wonderful! tell Mr. P he is being so silly - his sketch looks perfect! and a scanner - prints finally? hooray! hooray! looks like you have a lot on the horizon - can't wait!
Post a Comment