
My Illustration Friday attempt for "fat".
The process of coming up with an idea for an illustration has started to fascinate me.
Take this one for example. My initial plan was “fat head”, meaning “huge ego”, “it’s gone straight to her head”, “jeez she’s got a fat head about it”. (Slang obviously. I love a good bit of slang).
As I pondered how to represent this in a visual form the theme took on new meanings (this has been happening a lot recently). She went from being egotistical, to just having a mind fat with concern, overwhelmed with worry. Each time one of these metamorphosis of ideas occurs I realise that it somehow comes full circle and ends up relating to me in some way. In this case I relate to the way sometimes your head can be so full of thoughts that it becomes overwhelming, so much so that it outweighs the rest of you and can become debilitating. (I had a weekend feeling like I wasn’t good at anything and why do I bother, blah blah blah – it happens now and then).
The more I thought about this notion, and came out of my slump, I realised it’s all an ongoing process. On some days it can be incapacitating and then the next it can be all over and things are happy sailing once again. So I drew my fat headed lady with a calm expression, knowing that right now she may be in a bit of a pickle (having your giant head stuck to the ground while wearing only your undies could get embarrassing), but soon things will even out again and she can stand up and move on.
My point I suppose is that so much happens in your head; whether so see yourself as being fat or not, whether you are able to feel creative or not, even the whole glass half full or empty debate… All in your head. This whole illustration, for example, has gone from egotistical to a calm understanding. It’s all a matter of perception.
I don’t often write about what I draw because I LOVE hearing your interpretations, so feel free…










18 comments:
love your analization of your pic and how it began and where it went to. beautiful pic lov those eyes they tend to draw u in.
nice post...great illustration!
A really interesting piece. I first got "Fat Head' only becasue of the topic, but I did identify with your notion of calm understanding, etc. I have just started reading The Power of Now by Eckharte Tolle (spelling?) and the book discusses how, as humans, we do indeed think too much and that we allow our minds to control us. mind, thought, ego it's all connected.
Anyway, what I like most about this piece is its intriguing nature. her eyes draw me in and I want to know, "what is she thinking?"
Very nice! I prefer to think of her as just having a big brain. :-)
One of the best images I have seen in a very long time; love it!
Wow, great job! Very intriguing.
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I think most creative people can identify with this, whether they are artists or not. Just the urge to create keeps those wheels grinding constantly, not to mention all of the everyday things that keep us worrying and obsessed. I love how this came out ~ did you do many sketches so that it evolved to this version? What kind of paper did you use?
i love how it looks like her hair is branching into the ground to find roots. thanks for sharing your thought process!
(on another note, relating to a previous post of yours, the word verification picture is not loading...how am i supposed to retype those letters when i cant even see them? hehe...guess its going to take more than a few tries to get this one right!)
I like your style. Thanks for sharing your process.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the evolution of your concept and how you came to this really intriquing and captivating drawing. I love the way she's looking us right in the eye...her calmness is so self assured and even challenging, as if she's asking us how we handle all those crazy things that weigh us down. The details of the hair are lovely and the posture of the body makes this look as if it could be real. Great background, too! This is excellent:>>>
As for me, I like the perspective. Like everyone said, this is a very interesting piece of work. I enjoyed reading about your process and thanks for sharing.
Your post resonates a lot with me. I believe also mostly things are a matter of perception which makes you quite powerful since one can change the perception, but usually not the things. When I first saw the big headed girl I was reminded of my own head full of chatter and words. I have days where I am really weighed down by all the oddities that jump around in my brain. Then I become a walking head, completely disproportionate.
I don´t know if I said that so explicitely before, but I really dig your drawing style!
Wow, that is really cool. I love your drawing and your explanation of it.
My head definitly feels heavy and fat sometimes.
One of the best takes I've seen on this theme so far! I could totally relate, too.
This picture makes me tip my head to the left...
Gorgeous illustration. I love the serene expression on her face, despite the fact that she's weighted down at the head.
Geez Louise, is she ever top-heavy! Love her!
you did a beautiful job on this, i love it!!!
OMG.. that is the cutest thing ever! I love this picture... i love you and your talent :)
Post a Comment