flossy-p home

Sunday, June 03, 2007

getting un-stuck

Arghh, I've been so stuck lately. You know that horrible place when you really really want to be making beautiful things, but something within stops you from even starting? I've just been so stuck. And, you know how it feels you get in those states where everything you see on the internet (or in galleries or magazines) that other people are doing/making/painting just makes you feel seriously inadequate and unworthy? Well I'm in the thick of that at the moment. Arghhhhh. It's horrible.

ATCs, In ProgressANYWAY, to overcome this nastiness I've been forcing myself to just do stuff. Do stuff that doesn't require thought, or concept, or has any outcomes to prove. Just do a pile of stuff, quickly, so that as soon as I finish one thing I move right on to the next without even thinking or reviewing the last one.

It's been good. Well, good enough to get me doing something (rather than sitting about moping), and there's even been a few nice surprises along the way. New eyes, new shading, new lips.

This little un-stuck project of mine has morphed into a modest set of Artist Trading Cards (my first ATCs ever). So, I'll be up for some trading as soon as they're done (hopefully by tonight).
Anyone up for some swapsies?

6 comments:

Allison said...

oh yes, i am familiar with that stuck feeling. sounds like you are working your way right out of it though!

i recently heard another good tip for those stuck times: write a letter to yourself when things are going really well - really pat yourself on the back and gush about how great you are and your accomplishments. then seal it away for one of those stuck days.

Rayne said...

Oh, yes! I so know that stuck and frustrated feeling. Used to really drive me up the wall, but one day I remembered something about my girls when they were babies.
It seemed that right before they went through a developmental change like learning a new skill, talking better, etc. they would go through the same thing, and I noticed that if I just ignored the stuck feeling and the frustration and just did what pleased me at the moment I always came out the other side with a new skill, interest, whatever.
I love your ATCs. I used to do them a while ago but then people started charging for them which really annoyed me because the whole idea is they are supposed to be free, so I stopped. Maybe I'll try again. Wow, I'm super talky this morning, aren't I?

Anonymous said...

I only wish I were simply stuck. I can't even begin! It's been so long since I tried to draw something...create something. It's hard to trust yourself to just let the pencil flow. Any suggestions?
On the other hand, I absolutely love your ATC's. Truly I love all the beautiful things you share on your site. That and your sweet nature bring me back again and again!

flossy-p said...

Dear Equipoise.

I completely understand. Have you ever read The Artists Way? I recommend it, although I would also recommend reading it like a novel, and NOT doing the exercises, I found I tended to use the exercises as an excuse why it was all too hard to begin. Try reading it through first, then when you get to the end, go back and start again doing the exercises the second time around.

It took me a loooooooong time to get to the stage I'm at now. I started this blog as a way of forcing myself to do something creative, and allowed myself the space and anonimity to let myself do a whole heap of crappy drawings on the way to becomming better at it. It took me a full year of doing an illo every single week before I got to a stage I felt things were starting to look up.

So my advice.... let yourself be a bit crap, smile at it and be patient. You'll surprise yourself! :)

(go back to the start of my blog for some good examples of charming bits of crap with glimmers of promise)

.xx.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the advice flossy! I'll take it! haha, and I'll go check out your "charming bits of crap" as well.

love,
Equipoise

Abigail said...

Ah, I know the feeling...

I saw the show at Artstream this weekend - so many lovely pieces! The cut-paper work is really great, those ballerinas are adorable.