flossy-p home

Sunday, November 04, 2007

and then there was green

Promised Land

The weather is heating up; it's humid and clammy, and in the past two weeks there's only been about 4 days where we haven't had a giant storm. When they arrive it's dramatic and bold. Although the sky looked threatening this weekend the storms held off... Now suddenly everything is green. It's so green it's iridescent.

We spent yesterday in the hinterlands. We met our friends parents at a place called The Old Butter Factory, we had coffee together in the cafe there and mosied through the craft galleries. Then after having lunch at their house, Mr You and I took the long way home through an out-of-the-way area known as The Promised Land. You know when you come across a landscape so beautiful a lump wells in your throat, and tears catch in your eyes? Well I had one of those moments. We drove along a dirt road, through archways of trees, over carpets of fallen blosom, across a timber bridge over Never Never Creek. We passed a country wedding in progress; Tables set out under the shade of a row of huge trees, nestled next to a tiny country chapel. White tableclothes blowing in the breeze, children running about, musicians playing, and people laughing. It was just gorgeous! Like a scene from a movie, only better, and real.

We returned home to find a tiny city of mushrooms on the ankle of one of our big trees. It all started to feel like the storms had rained droplets of magic.

It made up for the night before, when we went to our first gig in this new town. The gig itself was fine, but I had a head in hands "where I am?" moment after walking in and seeing everyone sitting at tables. It wasn't a seated gig, yet everyone sat at tables. And the guy next to us had bought his own stubby-holder from home for the evening! I felt envious of my friends who have an amazing Summer of gigs lined up in Sydney (Bjork, Interpol, Sufjan Stevens, etc).

But, then again, there IS the iridescent green, Never Never Creek, the sound of crickets, and the tiny tiny city of mushrooms.

Butter Factory

6 comments:

Susan Schwake said...

what a beautiful beautiful place flossy.... the mushrooms are inspiring me... something gocco i think!
beauty!

Rayne said...

This is so incredibly beautiful. I just keep looking at the top photos and wishing I was there.
Here the short Nebraska autumn is roaring towards winter. Trees are looking half bare and tortured and everything it drying out. Winds are blowing so hard it's a wonder the poor trees don't fall down. It's comforting that somewhere the exact opposite is happening. Life is blooming.
Oh! Your blog's new dress is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What is a "stubby-holder"?

You may not have a lot of artists coming to perform in your new, sea-side town far from the buzz of the city, but you have a lot of other things they don't. And now you've lived in the best of both worlds...

flossy-p said...

Beth, a can of beer here is known as a stubby. A stubby holder is a foam cosy type of thing you use to keep your beer cold when drinking straight from the can or bottle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubby_holder

Anonymous said...

We call those a "beer cozy" here. I like stubby holder better though. I'm sure I'll raise an eyebrow if I start using it around here. :)

That is pretty neat though, it sounds like the place that had the gig was very intimate and relaxed, especially for someone to feel comfortable enough to bring their own stubby holder with them.

Regina said...

It looks amazing! I haven't seen that much green in ages!