flossy-p home

Saturday, November 24, 2007

starkwether, homicide, children of thalidomide

Mr You is really smart. Yes, he’s the biggest smart-arse ever, but this time I’m talking about the other type of smart: the clever kind. He knows all sorts of stuff, stuff I have no idea about, and he seems to remember everything. I put it down to never getting drunk as a teenager – keeping all those nubile brain cells, the very ones I myself must have pickled.

He’s the one you want on your team if you’re playing Trivial Pursuit. In fact one night we got a whispered call from Elle, they were at a trivia night, and she had snuck into the bathroom to ask Mr You the answer to one of the questions. She sang a few lines of “Too Shy” to us, and Mr You know right away that it was by “Kajagoogoo". I mean who remembers that?!

He’s not scholastic though, never liked school or took much notice. So when he amazed me with yet another beam of knowledge this morning (something about thalidomide babies) I demanded that he tell me how he knows all this stuff.
His reply? “We Didn’t Start the Fire”
“What?”
“We Didn’t Start the Fire, by Billy Joel. It’s got everything in it you’ll ever need to know about recent history”

And I’ll be buggered, he’s right you know! It’s all in there.
Now please excuse me, I’m off to tune into Classic Hits radio to see what else I can learn!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you say that. My hubby also contantly amazes me with the knowledge he has! He was also one who never took much of a liking to school, or books. But he can tell you the name of almost any song. He can spout history facts like nothing. Quote movie lines and titles. I could go on and on. Maybe we should get them together so they can quiz eachother on their wealth of random knowledge?

lil kim said...

and funny you mention this song because I was thinking about it recently, and laughing at how my mother described it at the time as 'the first rap song' (to her, maybe it was!).

your place looks so lovely, flossy, and well worth not having anyone to invite over for olives and wine. (how often did you see them when you lived 5 minutes away anyway?) -- we are moving this Friday and I CAN'T WAIT! Mostly for this whole process to be over - i'm exhausted! ;-)

Susan Schwake said...

hmmm, i have a smartypants too here, it's good to know that i am not the only one who feels less than brilliant! hee hee.
your new home looks so beautiful flossy, it's an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I think i wear the 'Smarty Pants' in this house. There is nothing I love more than watching wheel of fortune with my hubby (doesn't happen often) and being able to calmy answer tough questions that even the contestants get wrong.
I do a lot of book readin'.
that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!