flossy-p home

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

a master chef I am not

Thank-God that Master Chef show has come to an end! I've just spent the past few months being unbearably hungry for food well beyond my abilities. The cravings leading me to brazenly attempt feats I shouldn't. The last week alone resulting in a finger burn (nothing new there), a badly grated thumb knuckle, and an egg that turned itself into a cluster bomb and very nearly blew up our whole kitchen.

Now it's over (and I survived) we can go back to eating what we know, without those accompanying feelings of bitter disappointment and want for something far better. Thank-God!


Egg Bomb(Note to fellow kitchen novices: I'm sure, like me, you know not to cook an egg in the microwave. But, as it turns out, you can't even re-heat one. Not even if you think you're being smart by boiling an extra egg the night before so you can have one for your lunch tomorrow. Not even if you peel it and pop it in the microwave for just a little while so that the mayonnaise can melt into your egg a little on your yummy sandwich. Nope not even then. Heed my word, or you'll be eating peanut butter on your sandwich like me, again bitterly disappointed that it's not what you'd been craving. Another word of warning - while cleaning the decimated egg out of the microwave, it is impossible not to end up with egg-smudge clogged in the tiny round air vents, resulting in your kitchen smelling like egg bomb for days! Urghhh).

17 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Ewwwww! I had no idea that you couldn't reheat an egg in the microwave. Thanks for the warning.

Anna Lloyd said...

Hehe, I have that trouble trying to microwave eggs too. A trick my husband uses to clean a microwave is to put some washing up detergent and water in a bowl and microwave it for a while. It makes the microwave easier to clean.

Clarity said...

Oh it happens and apparently I can cook! Don't feel bad, eggs are tricky things, even under cling film.

Hope it's all sparkly in time for your next reheat. I heard Jane won Masterchef, missed it! And I missed their trip abroad! If you've checked out my blog, you'll know why I WANTED to watch that particular programme.

Hayley Sarah said...

For boiled eggs, I put the egg in a large bowl of boiling water, cover with a tea towel and microwave it for about a minute? Maybe less, it's been a while!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

We've all learned something today. Thankfully some of us haven't had to learn the hard way.

That's quite a spectacular bombing that's taken place in your microwave.

Susan Schwake said...

do you know how happy this post made me? i did this the ONE and only time I let a microwave into our home. That's all it took. Just as fast as I was given it and installed it, bombed an egg, and unplugged it and gave it away.
I thought I was the ONLY one who might do this.
hee hee.
thanks ms. f-p. you made my day!
xoxox susan

Megan.K. said...

I can smell it from here....
eew!!

I'll miss master chef -I love how it has inspired people (including me) to have a go in the kicthen.

Jenny said...

Lol! Whoopsie!

Christina Lowry said...

Good lord, it looks like I have just made poached eggs... at least there is toast...

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

hehehehe... thsi is exactly the type of cooking disaster I found myself standing in the middle of beforeI was fortunate enough to r chef marry Chef.

We miss Masterchef. stoked julie won though !

Monique said...

I never knew you couldn't microwave a cooked egg. Thanks for learning that lesson for me.

I only got hooked onto masterchef in the last 2 weeks. After the fat people and then the dancing people I couldn't face the cooking people to make me feel completely inadequate.

Chrisy said...

Like you I had no idea....! Yucky cleaning job....those dang air vents are a pain! Thank you for stopping by and leaving wellness wishes for me...I really appreciate it...

Fibo said...

Oh my goodness I almost died laughing at that post! I've blown up many things in my microwave it looks like a contemporary artwork in there, even after cleaning! But eggs, oh man that would stink

Chrisy said...

Got my artful planner today...it is wonderful!

pretty day said...

This picture is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

Jacinta said...

Thanks for the warning - I for one, had no idea about reheating eggs in the microwave and the risk one was taking with such a lethal weapon!
As for master chef - bring on the spag bol!
Cheers.

Geek+Nerd said...

Oh gosh - my mum and I read this together and had a great laugh. I love to cook, and my mom is a cook, but let me tell you, I could write a book of stories similar to yours. The road to chefdom is paved with FAILURE!!! It just makes the successes all the sweeter though! (Especially if you're making dessert, yum).