flossy-p home

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

rock and soul

The town where we live is always in the depths of discussion and planning suggestions of how to make it more appealing... To make the beachfront more attractive to visitors... To help our town become as interesting to tourists as the rest of the towns on this pretty coastline.

While there are 20 year plans for development and restructure, I believe (while it certainly needs alot of help) it really wouldn't take much to get it started; just a little soul.

Last weekend we took a day trip to visit a little town only 40 mins from here. We've been here before, and I LOVED the mosaic wall in the centre of town. But this time we went down along the waterfront, and were amazed by the beautiful breakwall.

DSCN7757

Each rock is "graffitied", but in the most loving, pre-planned, community minded way imaginable.

DSCN7755

DSCN7752

It's a little tourist town, and on each rock is a record of people's visits, from near and very far, and even some which we're told are freshened up and added to each year when the original artist revisits the town. One rock (a local lady pointed out to us) has a new grandchild's name and picture of a toy added each time a new one is born.

DSCN7758

DSCN7766

Surprisingly, we only saw one painted rock that had been needlessly tagged over the top of. The rest are left as they are. We vowed to return one day when we have a family, armed with paint and brushes.

This clever couple had constructed an entire flowerpot:
DSCN7759

The white side of this one invited all other Swiss tourists to sign their name:
DSCN7761

This one took advantage of the shapes of the rocks:
DSCN7767

And my personal favourite, for no other reason than I love a good pun:
DSCN7764

5 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Such a beautiful idea, and it makes a walk along the breakwater, an experience!
I actually noticed a new mural in my local area today, but I was in traffic so I couldn't stop for a proper look - gotta love public art.

Jenny said...

I love this idea-how special and beautiful and certainly memorable for visitors

Diana said...

What a great discovery! Thanks for sharing. :)

Jacinta said...

very cool... and yes, good puns rock!

Anna Lloyd said...

Great idea, makes for an interesting walk! :)