flossy-p home

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

thieving is mean

Let me tell you a sad tale… The tale of when someone stole money from my market stall the other weekend.

I thought my cash was in a pretty safe spot; in a cash tin, hidden inside a big timber box at the back of my stall, right next to me. Unfortunately anyone watching me would have seen me going back and forth from it, and would have worked out exactly where it was.

This person, waited until a very very busy time, Mr You had gone off to get us some lunch so I was on my own. The stall got very very busy at one point, and obviously when I was distracted showing someone something, the thief squeezed up the side of my stall, reached around inside the box, into my cash tin, and stole a big handful of notes.

I noticed it was missing right away. My heart sank. My face got hot. My body went limp. My head spun with dizziness.

With a big crowd of people in front of me I announced, "Someone has just stolen money from me. Did anyone see anything?"

The people in front of me all froze and went deadly silent, then murmurs of "That's awful", "What can we do?", "Who was it?", "How long ago?", some dashed off to tell the market organisers.

I felt so embarrassed, so upset. Once I realised there was really nothing I could do (barring locking-down the whole building and demanding to see inside every single persons pockets), I apologised to the concerned faces in front of me, and decided to just put on a smile and carry on. But first I grabbed my money tin and stood on it, where it remained for the rest of the day.

Everyone was so nice to me about it, so concerned, and I could see they felt as helpless as I did.

It was only later on that I realised that it was most likely someone still standing in the crowd in front of me, giving me their sympathy, who would have done it. It was that quick.

I can't be sure exactly how much they scored, but I know it was somewhere between $200-$400. At least they didn't take the entire lot, I am thankful that, and at least they left me with some change so I could carry on the rest of the day.

Still…

It really really sucks…

This person obviously assumed that because I was at the market I could afford to lose that money. Little do they know this is far from the case. Starting from scratch it costs me a LOT of my own money to get to an event like that (we're talking thousands, not hundreds); with the stall fees, insurance, travel, accommodation, and all the materials I have to buy to have enough to stock a stall. The money I make at the market goes towards paying off that debt (and it IS debt), but I rely on what opportunities come next to pay off the rest and perhaps make a bit of profit.

It's a jolly hard game. It's a gamble.

By the end of the day I had told some other stall holders and they were SO nice to me. No-body could believe that someone could be so low as to steal from a hand-made market. I certainly learnt my lesson.

By the end, my stall neighbour and I were joking about the gigantic, humungous, mammoth amount of bad karma that person has coming to them… Not only stealing from an artist (who was hungry for lunch at the time)… but a PREGNANT ARTIST!!!!

MAN! When karma catches up, that's gonna hurt them so much more than it hurt me.

And while I could never willingly wish harm on anyone, I must admit this does satisfy me just a sneaky little tiny tad. ;)

10 comments:

CurlyPops said...

That has got to be the absolute worst thing that could ever happen at a market.
I can't even imagine the amount of time and energy that goes into preparing for such a huge market. I would have been in tears slumped on the ground in an absolute mess.
Well done for being able to carry on!
Karma is definitely a bitch and what goes around ALWAYS comes around!

Christina Lowry said...

How awful! What a horrible person that must have been to stoop so low. Your right, the karma for stealing from a pregnant hungry artist has got to be big! So sorry to hear that this happened to you. It's a warning for everyone. All the best.

xx

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

karma will be swift and brutal.
it is the only way.
Stealing money from your unborn child!! the nerve!

Sarah Knight said...

That's horrible - the stealing part.
Hopefully there were sales to compensate ; )

Geek+Nerd said...

Ugh. Thieves suck...although it kind of makes me smile to think of little pregnant you perched on top of your cash box :)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Oh my goodness! That is truly awful and really sad! I'm so sorry this happened to you. You're right about the karma, but sadly, that doesn't help you any. I hope the weekend was a great success regardless xxx

Lilli boo said...

Oh Flossy It's awful reading about situations like this, you seemed to handle this with such aplomb! I hope this opportunist gets what they deserve...go karma go...otherwise look after yourself and sounds like you have worked hard at putting this situation behind you anyway...:-)

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

That person is going to live in Wrongtown. That is SO wrong. I am shocked and I know that feeling of shock, red face and jelly body. ERGH! I hate it.

That is a very sad story.

Shame on whoever did it. Go get a job! Make your own money!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Shocking flossy-p. It's terrible that people will stoop so low. I hope you still came out on top.

Anna Lloyd said...

Artists get it pretty hard sometimes... if it wasn't hard enough to make a living from it as it was!