flossy-p home

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

metropolitan

metropolitan
My Illustration Friday entry for 'metropolitan'.

This week's illo was troublesome. I had difficulty with the theme (and the illo) because metropolitan just isn't a word that is used very often in Australia (at least not in Sydney). We don't have a metropolitan police department, metropolitan fire brigade, no metropolitan museums (art or history), no MOMA's, and no metro system like in Paris. We have a city police department, city fire brigade, city hospitals, city rail (which I spend a large percentage of my time waiting for), state library, and state and city museums and art galleries.

However, even though we don't use the word metropolitan, I am aware of what it means. I'm not sure if it's the same in other countries, but we are saturated in American culture; T.V, music, movies, tabloid gossip, news and sports. It got me thinking about all of the other words we hear a lot, but don't use; sidewalk, trash, trunk, subway, candy, condo...

Adding to this I'm always self conscious about the differences in spelling. So when you spot one of my posts or comments, please don't think I can't spell if I switch a 'z' for an 's', or squeeze a 'u' in here or there, I'm a stickler for tradition.

(Do Canadians use American or English spelling? English I imagine, but then again you're so close. How confusing.)

4 comments:

bee'nme said...

This is great - what an interesting point of view you brought to the theme. I really like the illustration on many levels - nice job! As an American, I love to see the 'u's and 'z's sprinkled about - it's one of the things I love about the diversity of the English language - it's like your accent, but in written form.

Anonymous said...

Love your "Met" drawing(s) as well as your post. In answer to your last question, Canadians use "English" spelling.

flossy-p said...

thanks guys

Alison Ashwell said...

your illos fits the theme very well.