flossy-p home

Sunday, November 19, 2006

a list

I’m sick of feeling like I whinge about myself all the time. I know I know, it’s a hard habit to break. Anyway, as an exercise I’m not going to tell you about what I haven’t done, or what I want to be doing, instead I’m going to report to you about what I did last week.

Ummm…

On Monday, after reading this excellent generous advice, I designed some snazzy looking product sheets for my Christmas tags, with all the specs and even photo’s. I got them printed out on nice paper and on Tuesday posted them to Mr You’s sister, (who offered to approach a few shops in her town with them).

Also on Tuesday I researched registering a business name. I made an invoice template, and sent an invoice for a flyer I designed last month. I also did some domestic stuff: grocery shopping etc.

Having sent out the product sheet with a URL on it, I figured I had about 2 days to get a site onto the URL before anyone was likely to look at it. So…

Wednesday I rubbed some sticks together and built a very basic temporary site. Don’t get excited, there’s hardly anything there yet, it’s a temporary placeholder until the real one can be built. I’ll share the link soon.

Thursday: illustration day. Made a few more Santa tags. Made a yummy dinner for a friend who came to tea.

Friday: Made a cute Christmas gift for a friend. Tidied up my Etsy store (a few images and things had disappeared since the update), and walked up to the local village to post some things.

Saturday was a good “weekend” kind of day. Coffee in a café, visiting our god daughter (Oh My God she is the cutest little person I’ve ever met. Do you know if you kiss her on the forehead she says “thanks!” Every. Single. Time.)
Had Malaysian laksa with Mr You and saw the Borat movie with a bunch of friends.

Today, Mr You earned his weight in chocolate biscuits after being brilliant yet again. Again he calmed me down and said all the right things after my “end of another week and I still don’t have anything done” –weekly freak-out. And this time I had glued my fingers in a bad Araldite incident, so he really earned all that imaginary chocolate!

So… Hence the exercise in listing what I HAVE done.


You know, (and here I go whinging about myself again) I think I’m spending too much time alone with my own projects, and end up thinking about myself, and my own projects waaaay too much. I feel like I’m losing my sense of generosity and community. I feel stuck in this place of trying to make things to sell (which is my main aim at the moment because I’m not earning any money): Not spending enough time exploring my own creative urges, and Not exercising enough generosity towards others. I’d love to do something for others to get me back into the right spirit. A swap, or a competition or …

…I know!

(see next post for details - weeeeeee)

2 comments:

Allison said...

yikes! what have you been so concerned about? sounds like you had a week full of business and accomplishments - i'm feeling a bit lazy just reading about all you have been doing. good for you flossy!! and, just curious, what did you think of the borat movie?

Rayne said...

you glued your fingers? Oh, that does not sound good at all.
Here is something you should keep in mind when you are worried about not doing enough. You need your down and lazy time to be able to recharge and do things. Think about it, when you are totally relaxed and just letting your brain drift for a bit, isn't that when you have an
a-ha moment?