flossy-p home

Saturday, April 21, 2007

paper dolls

Here are some more works for the show at eQuinox. These ones are actual paper dolls, painted with watercolour and mounted in mat windows (ready for easy framing). A new technique for me, but one I love and am bound to do more of from this point onward.

I love the naive child-like idea of paper dolls, and also the old time folk craft memories that they rekindle. While making these I remembered a 5 day road trip back when I was only 4 (before my sister was born). We were moving to the top end of Australia, a long way away. I remember keeping myself and my soft-toys entertained for that long long road trip by making paper dolls. The backseat became crowded with tiny hand-holding people.
(Actually, come to think of it, that was probably a strange thing giving scissors to a 4 year old in the backseat of a moving vehicle! But, hey, that was back before seatbelts, bike helmets, and sunscreen!)

The theme of my body of work for this show is "connection": the various ways it manifests, and what it means in different circumstances. While these paper-dolls are literally connected, they can also represent a community, togetherness, a connection in place and background. A solidarity.


Dolls Dancing
Dolls Dancing

Dolls Dancing - detail
...detail


This one is a little bit romantic...
Across a Crowded Room
Across a Crowded Room

6 comments:

Geek+Nerd said...

*Jaw drops* soooo basically I just need to come up with a lot of money and you can skip sending any of this stuff to Susan and just send it straight to my house. I'm smitten!

Anonymous said...

hehehe, thanks. I had a feeling you might like those ballet girls ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, they're lovely! You are so talented, I really enjoy your creations!

Susan Schwake said...

heh. ms. geeky, you WILL have to come and see them... :-)
and ms. flossy-p - a couple extra ballet girls would be lovely. we know MANY dancers!
xo
susan

Diane Duda said...

Just one word...Connection...and your come up with so many brilliant ideas! I love these!

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I know where you come up with these wonderful ideas...

You are so creative and inspiring.
Thank you!