flossy-p home

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

back again

BulahdelahRiverIt was the furthest I've ever driven on my own, 5hrs along the highway, and I really enjoyed it. Mr You stayed at home over the weekend to get through his ever mounting pile of work, while I went to a small town up north to help my mum and step-dad unpack their stuff after moving house. So I drove up on my own, car stereo stacked with CD's, I took it easy, a road trip of my own. Pulling over to get out and stretch every so often when I came across a pretty little town or river clearing, stretching my arms wide through the endless sky and sucking in some of the ample fresh air.

Mum has moved to a new town, a seachange, and I think they'll love it. It's the nicest house they've ever lived in (in my opinion), on a little hill in a quiet tree-filled suburb, a few minutes walk over the ridge to the beach. It'll be quite a big lifestyle change for them both. It was interesting being there with them as they reassured themselves that they'd made the right decision, talking through the pros and cons, airing their concerns, and once again reassuring themselves.

It was also helpful to me at this time, considering that we too are in the process of packing up all our stuff and getting ready to move house. Thinking through options. I feel like I had a bit of emotional preparation, but also picked up some practical tips: good ways to pack things, reinforce boxes, and that my mum certainly doesn't need any more towels, wine glasses or decorative candles. (I think I managed to convice her to start actually using some of the candles she has).

Anyway, it was good. Good to get away, good to step out of my own house mess, good to look at things from an outsiders perspective. So now I'm back agian, but this time feeling slightly refreshed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful little break. We just spent 3 weeks with my parents and though they aren't moving house, the visit has prompted us to consider a move back to be closer to friends and family.
I wish you all the best of luck on your newest adventure :0)

P.S. I'm going to have my contribution to the ATC swap out to you soon! Holidays are currently cramping my style... next, we are off to disney for a week and back in time for August to start! Promise it will be worth the wait!

Susan Schwake said...

sounds like a lovely trip flossy. sorry i have been so quiet here, i have been swamped and need to catch up! i would love to talk with you about bags. just tell me what's involved and how much. they would be great for sept. here. or so. ...
talk to you soonly.