flossy-p home

Monday, July 14, 2008

brain scramble

This is: what scrambles my brain when I try to understand it.

sudokuI see people on the train wiz through these. Science claims it exercises your brain to keep your mind fit and active. Friends declare their love for it. And I have tried it... over and over again.

Do you think I've ever finished one? NO! I really want to, but no matter how I go about it I always get 75% of the way through before I realise I've stuffed it. I would love to be able to do this, but each time I come away with a well scrambled brain, feeling utterly inadequate.

I want to love it. I want it to love me back. But as it stands, I HATE SUDOKU!


Thanks to Flightless Boyds for the choice of topics this week... (even if it has left me with feelings of dumbness and defeat)

19 comments:

muralimanohar said...

My *kid* loves sudoku. Which makes me feel all the more dumb when I look at it and feel my brain starting to leak out my ears. :P

muralimanohar said...

(Sorry..blogger won't let me just reply! Argh!)

You saw a program on ABC about prosopagnosia?? What was it called?? How cool! I wanna see it now! lol

Michelle said...

I haven't tried Sudoko as yet - so many rave on and on about it, don't they!! I wonder what all the fuss is about?

Lois said...

Thank goodness it isn't just me. I hate sudoku too. Mind you, it's numbers and numbers equal math and I hate math, so it only goes to reason that I hate sudoku too.
Doesn't it???

Hila said...

can you believe I've never played? I much prefer a good novel to exercise my brain - numbers aren't my thing :)

hokey said...

I love it! I have been seriously addicted to sudoku for about eight months, and take the time to do at least one a day (it's my guilty little pleasure) I especially love the sumari sudoku in the Saturday Age, it's huge! I also have a pink nintendo DS, the only game I play regularly is the Soduko one! I guess my secret's out!

You really should give it another go :-)

danica said...

Hehe! I tend to play the games in the Sunday paper and usually it ends with me screaming @#%&ing Sudoku after I can't find the right numbers.

Gemma said...

I can't do them either! I always have to admit defeat and stick to the regular crossword...

Juddie said...

Mmmm - I agree! My poor old brain will likely get flabbier as I age, as I can't see myself exercising it with Sudoku!

Belinda said...

I am so with you on Sudoku!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I want to try it, but have never had the patience to sit down and do one. I'm usually ok with numbers (hopeless with crosswords), so I wonder.... I certainly need a bit of brain exercise right now.

Lisa [strickerin] said...

I have never done one either and it seems to be a craze that just won't go away.

Lilli boo said...

I giggled reading your post..I have yet to attempt it properly..I gave it a shot once albiet all of 45 seconds before the distractions happened..kids, partner etc (good excuses I know:-) So I'll try it again and see if I am a 'hater' or a 'lover'...there's a badge design crying out to be designed for this on!

Sharon said...

I've not finished one either! It held my attention for all of 30 seconds before I got bored and decided it was over-hyped!

Katrina Jackson said...

I've heard so many people say that they hate these! I LOVE Sudoku! I love puzzles really! Maybe some time you'll find a puzzle you enjoy.

Jacinta said...

My mum is OBSESSED with Sudoku - but I just don't get it. I can do them - But WHY BOTHER?
I actually love puzzles in general, but I hate SUDOKU - mostly because there just doesn't seem any point in doing them!
Seriously, find something else to entertain yourself! Surely there is a kettle to watch as it boils! Or some grass to watch growing! :-)

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

You're hilarious! Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. When I am bored (SUPER DOOPER bored) I play it on my phone, on the easiest setting. You can cheat half way through (or at any stage) and check where you've gone wrong. Haha.

Anastasia said...

my brother in law loves SUDOKU and is so good at it...i suck at it...im still at the begginer stage!! haha

Jenny Bean said...

I think it's got something to do with how us creative people use our brains. I'm smart, and creative and soduko exhausts me.
I'd rather go for a jog... for about 16 hours than try and finish a game of sodoku.
Amen.