flossy-p home

Sunday, July 27, 2008

this is what I'm learning

violinFor the This is meme this week we were asked to choose our own topics. So I chose to show what I'm attempting to learn... violin/fiddle. (I've mentioned it briefly before).

Anyway, I still haven't had any lessons, I've been going by online video demonstrations, and a book and CD. Having NEVER been anywhere near music before, I'm having to also teach myself to read sheet music too. It's all a bit of an uphill battle still, but I've gotten over the nasty-ouchy part of building up callouses on the tips of my fingers, so now it's just practice practice practice. And honestly a few lessons pretty soon wouldn't go astray.

I've been so busy painting lately that I haven't been playing as much, plus I'm getting bored with Mary Had a Little Lamb. The ultimate goal is to be able to play something like this. But in the meantime, with a bit of help from Mr You, I’ve almost nailed playing the melody line that follows Bjork’s opening line “I live by the ocean” from The Anchor Song (this is really cute footage of the song accompanied by a super-serious organ player. :D We recently saw concert footage of it done by strings and it was pretty). But that’s all I can do so far. Mind you it's only been 2 months... I'm getting there slowly...

I love learning new things, but usually it's sewing something new, or making picture frames or something. This is by far the biggest challenge I've undertaken so far. Hopefully I'll be able to play a good ole foot stompin hoe down by my 40th birthday :D ......that's 8 years away, so I've still got time.


What's something new that you've learnt recently, or are learning right now?
Do tell! :)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Violin can be used in so many different types of music, good luck with it! I've just picked up a harmonica to start learning, but haven't got very far with it yet...

Dees said...

That is AWESOME!!!wow you brave womean you!I would love to learn how to play chello but I am way to chicken to start,I also don't know how to read music and think it is totally awesome you are learning it!I applaud you!

Reenie said...

Hey Flossy-P, just had to leave a quick note to give you the huge thumbs up for your comment on Curly Pops' blog.. it was hilarious !! You are so funny

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

That's great! I believe it's not an easy instrument to learn and it's wonderful that you're learning something creative outside of the craft world.

Can't say I'm learning anything new at the moment, but would love to learn to bellydance soon.

CurlyPops said...

Wow, learning the violin is amazing!
Today I learned to crochet....hopefully I'll improve very soon.

.girl ferment. said...

wow great thing to learn.
maybe when i am 32 I will give myself the challenge of learning to play the cello by the time I am 40...?

Learning to sight read is pretty liberating. When I played the guitar as a teenager I was terrible at playing the instrument but used to think it was okay because most of the other guitar wielding kids couldn't read music.If you merged two of us then maybe we would of been on the way to having a musician.
xx

Jenny said...

That is wonderful! By your 40th birthday you'll be selling tickets for your grand performance!!

Michelle said...

Wow, thats fantastic! Good luck with it!

Molly said...

What a strange coincidence... I just had my parents "return" my violin to me and I picked it up after a decade just two nights ago. I used Suzuki when I was a kid, so I might be trying that again.

Hila said...

Oh I've always wanted to learn to play the violin, lucky you! I've got a relative who used to make violins and I thought it was the most fascinating thing when I was little. Good luck with it!

Lisa [strickerin] said...

What a clever clogs. Such an achievement.

Anastasia said...

how wonderful!!! such a beautiful instrument - i played the flute during school and my bestie played the violin...we both struggled but it was fun!
i wanted to do a book binding course at Amazing Paper in Enmore but it was fully booked so I'll have to wait until next Term but yep thats what course I want to do next!

Jacinta said...

Good for you - you are a braver woman than me. And that is such a lovely photo - it's such a beautiful instrument. I am sure by your 40th you'll be ready to strut your stuff. Have fun!

Esti said...

i'm learning to understand my little daughter better. Sometimes it gets hard... ;)

Moiface said...

The chello is so sexy!

danica said...

I have decided that you, miss flossy-p, are superwoman! Yes, it's true - don't deny it. Not only a brilliant artist, but now a musician! I am extremely impressed :)

P.S I'm trying to learn to be more patient...any tips?

Lilli boo said...

Very inspiring Flossy-p. I have always wanted to learn the Piano...not as a child but as an adult. I feel picking up an instrument at any age is a fantastic challenge and highly rewarding. Stomping hoe down for your 40th sounds slightly better then 'Boot scootin' tunes ;-)..Your 40th no doubt will be a hoot. (even if it's in 8 yrs time!)