flossy-p home

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

the most lovely plates I ever did see

At the risk of sounding like my "All we ever got for Christmas when I was a kid was an orange" Dad, I'm going to start this post with...

Back in my day... as kids, we weren't indulged, or shall I say spoilt. We weren't even allowed to ask for things when we were shopping with Mum. No hint of "Mum, can I please have an icecream?" No Siree! We just weren't allowed.

As I grew into an adult, with my own income, being able to treat myself to little things just for the hell of it, took some getting used to, but was SUCH a thrill. I still feel like I'm giving myself a "treat" when I buy a coffee. :)

Which is maybe the reason I die a little inside everytime I browse through Etsy. An internal battle of inner consciousnesses ensues...

"Oohhhh, I LOVE it! I want it!" (Not that I would ever have been allowed to say that as a kid)
"Yes, but do you NEED it? Is it a necessity? No? Well then, that's that." (Followed by an inner strut off to the cereal isle).

I carry such guilt buying things just for the sake of it. So I try, I try my hardest, to come up with ways to twist a want into a need. After all, isn't it vital for visual people to surround themselves with visually inspiring things? For the benefit of their, you know, career-COUGH COUGH... Okay, so vital might be a bit of an overstatement, but surely it's beneficial... Right?

I understand these plates are one of the most gorgous things I've ever seen, but SERIOUSLY, I don't think of these as anything other than beneficial to the development of my career-COUGH COUGH... Honest Mum!

NinaInvorm Plates

Bird Plates by Ninainvorm on Etsy.

3 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

You do NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED them Flossy!
did you see the Ninainvorm teapot with bunting around it??? I think I need that!!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

You have to go back and read that section of The Artist Way that talks about abundance.

I think that creative souls do need to be surrounded by inspiration. I think that rampant consumerism needs to be kept at bay too, but I don't think you're in danger in that regard.

I am interested to know how you managed to turn the tin collection into a need :)

Maureen said...

Funny you should say that!!!!! I have decided to highlight these on my Christmas pressie list - sending people accurate details of which one.

I look and say to myself 'Just how does she do that!!!!'