flossy-p home

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

brisbane finders keepers

WOW! What a great weekend!

We left on Thursday and got back last night. Lots of driving, and our little car was visibly swollen with all the stuff we packed into it. But we had a really really great time.

Brisbane has changed alot since I was last there. We loved it, pretty, well planned, and so spoilt for art galleries and public art.

But the markets!.... Well, let me show you some photos (I was too busy to take any, but Mark Lobo has just released the official ones on his facebook. They are really really good photos, I hope he doesn't mind me showing you some here....).

Finders Keepers Brisbane, Old Museum

Finders Keepers Brisbane, Sunny Days

Finders Keepers Brisbane, Veranda

The market was held in a beautiful old museum building, and despite the predictions, the weather was gorgeous. People picniced, played totem tennis and listened to the bands outside on the lawns. Meanwhile inside, three large decorated rooms were filled with stalls of the most high quality, handmade goods you ever did see.

Studio 2, Finders Keepers Brisbane

Decorations

We had a steady flow of shoppers all weekend, met some really nice people, and had great chats with quite a few. All my pillowcases sold out within a few minutes, and I have taken custom orders to make over 50 more!

We were in good company with our neighbouring stalls: Vinyl Design selling their decals, and Brisbane local Simon Suckling with his exquisite range of hand-thrown porcelain tea cups! (Really nice guy too).

Simon Suckling Ceramics

All of the stallholders we met were incredibly nice too, so nice infact, if we were in our home town we probably would have invited them back to our place afterwards for a celebration. Hopefully we can keep in touch.

The girls from Red Seed Studio, Ben from Rebound Books, Torrun from Herbert and Friends.

Ben from Rebound Books

Herbert and Friends

Then I got brave and went and met fellow artists Courtney Brims, Beth-Emily and Lauren Carney.

Each of them were so nice, friendly, supportive and generous. Especially so when I told them my sad story of having money stolen from my stall during a particularly busy moment (more on that later, today is all about the good stuff).

Courtney Brims

Beth-Emily

Lauren Carney

I did do a little shopping at the end of the day. Gorgeous curly earrings by Sarah Rothe for myself... But I can't tell you anymore because they are all Christmas gifts.

Sarah Rothe

And I very very much would have liked one of Cat Rabbit's surreal softies, but by then I was reaching the end of my spending allowance.

Cat Rabbit

There were so many more good things there, too many to show them all. There are more pics here if you're keen.

Thanks so much to everyone who came along, to those who said hi and had a chat, and to all the other stall holders for creating such a sense of community. HUGE thanks too to my awesome assistant Mr You, who I never knew had such a talent for merchandise display. I had a ball!

Now I'm gearing up to do it all over again in Sydney next month.

6 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Massive bad karma to the robber!!!

Those pillowcases are heavenly- no wonder you sold out. It all looks good, all of it. One day I will get to a finders keepers market, one day. xx

Felicity said...

What a fabulous weekend!

Looking forward to attending the next one even more after reading this post.

Felicity x

toiletrollart said...

You were very busy chatting when I was there but your assistant was fabulous! Congrats on such a beautiful stall...

Geek+Nerd said...

What a beautiful market! I cannot believe those teacups are hand thrown. Pretty-pretty!

I am so sorry that you got robbed. What a bummer! I agree with Cath - bad karma to that person!

flossy-p said...

Sara, sorry I missed you. I did get a bit carried away chatting to people, I was having so much fun :)

Thanks so much for coming anyway! And thanks for the feedback about my assistant! ;)

Kt said...

I cannot wait until they're on in Sydney! I've been suffering some serious envy.