flossy-p home

Sunday, June 19, 2005

back door driver!

In Sydney the back door of the bus is opened by the driver pushing a button, or pulling a lever or something equally technical. If they forget to open the backdoor and you need to get out, it is common practice to hollar down the aisle over everyone's heads "BACK DOOR DRIVER!!". It may seem uncouth, but it's just what you do... in Sydney that is.

This, it seems is not the case however, in the refined city of Adelaide.

You can imagine the fright on the other passengers faces as my dear old friend Lacey-T (a newby to the city) yelled out down the aisle. It seems there you are suppose to push the doors open yourself, with little fuss. Consider yourself warned!

Actually it reminds me of my first time in Europe. I'd arrived only an hour before from the other side of the world, after a 28hr flight; alone, jetlagged, and not able to speak a word of Greek (except Yasu).

I was bundled into the lift of the hotel by the eager conceirge, giving me a gentle shove to squeeze me in the confined space. The lift stopped at my floor, but the doors didn't open, I pushed a couple of buttons but nothing happened. Eventually the lift went back down to the foyer but the doors didn't open there either, and the lift went back up again. This kept happening until I'd been up and down about 3 times. By then there was a queue forming in the foyer, I could hear frenzied button pushing and mutterings in various languages on the other side of the doors. I was starting to panic (the lift was only just big enough for me and my back-pack to squeeze in: so maybe 2 slim europeans). I began pushing buttons, walls and doors, and "pop" - at last they opened!

Much like Lacey-T, I had no idea you had to push the doors open yourself, but at least now I know I'll be prepared for the buses in Adelaide.

LacyandtheBus

Lacey-T is a very dear old friend of mine. She is the first of our group of friends from school who has become pregnant. She has been growing into that lovey elegant seahorse shape faster and faster with every day. Sadly for us, she and Pat (her husband) have just recently packed up and moved to the quieter city of Adelaide, to prepare their lives for raising their new family. So if you're in Adelaide and come across a pregant woman hollaring down the bus, be kind, she's new.

No comments: