flossy-p home

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

summer

Summer_150605
My Illustration Friday entry for 'Summer'.

Since we've only just come into Winter at this corner of the globe, it's been pretty tricky getting into a Summer headspace this week. Wrapping myself up in a fluffy scarf each morning, and trying to imagine being bathed in warm sunshine and wearing a Bonds singlet.


As much as I love jackets and scarves, I much prefer Summer. Acutaly I love Summer!

I love the smell of frangipanni flowers at the beginning of Summer on a warm night. I love sticking teeny-tiny star jasmin flowers in my hair, so I get a spontaneous whiff of them every now and then throughout the day.


Summer is long days, bare feet, wet hair, my white cotton skirt, afternoon breezes, mangoes, big salads, icy cold beer, squeeling cicadas and traces of sand in the toes of your shoes.


Last year I cheated Winter; packed a backpack and went to Summer in Europe.

My illustration this week is of a great terrace we found while climbing the steep hilly streets of Lisbon in Portugal. We found it one hot afternoon on our way to the Alfama district, and rested in the shade of the glorious boganvillia. The terrace seemed specifically placed for the sole purpose of giving folk like us a retreat from the sun, and rest from the steep hills. A little pond with a fish fountain, a thick patch of shade, a long bench with an array of blue hand painted tiles (one of my favourite things about Portugal), and a view across the water below.

I feel warmed just thinking about it.

8 comments:

isay said...

great illo and a wonderful place to sit....

Anonymous said...

this is gorgeous. takes me away to another place...

Anonymous said...

I love the vined trellis...wish I had a wonderful place like this to hang out!

violetismycolor

Valancy said...

Very relaxed. Lovely colors.

Anonymous said...

This is just beautiful! I love line and wash, and I remember Lisbon fondly (I went there as a child, with my parents).

Aravis said...

This is the perfect sort of place to get away to. It's a beautiful illustration!

Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful illustration and a beautiful use of color. this looks like the place i'd want to spent my summers.

Anonymous said...

I'm another Lisbon lover, wish I was feeling their summer heat now:) This is a wonderful image and has a great feel.