
My Illustration Friday entry for 'sport'.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't raised a sweat since compulsory sport at high school, but when I read this weeks theme was "Sport", I immediately thought of ways we tried to avoid it.
Every Wednesday afternoon the entire school turned into a war-zone of sports. Rackets slashing, balls flying, crowds running, ground thumping, people yelling, whistles blowing, dust rising and sweat spraying. For those of us who just wouldn't be seen without black tights and boots, our mission on sport sign-up day was to dash, with at least two friends, to the front of the ping-pong queue; the only sport which didn't involve sweat, sunburn or sneakers.
Occasionally a smart faculty member would cotton on and force us to do tennis or basketball, though most of our efforts went into ways of avoiding it altogether. Usually this was as simple of nicking off through the bush to the clearing by the tracks, to hang out at the log. Sitting on the log may not have been recognised as an official sport, though skill and a keen sense of alertness was required to make it there without being spotted, and also hide from the passing bushwalking club. Much like chess at the Olympics, we liked to think of it as a demonstration sport. Stay tuned for the IOC's announcement's, "log lingering" may make it yet.










7 comments:
beautiful illustration!
I truly empathise. At my school we had to do one compulsory sport once a week. First of all I did small bore rifle shooting which just involved lying on your stomach and blasting away. And then I discovered the sport of 'booking the squash court' - all you had to do was book a court with a fellow non-athlete - nobody checked whether you actually played.
How wonderful to draw a map of your school - you've inspired me to think of doing maps before my brain completely deteriorates.
Great. I like the idea, and it looks very good.
wynlen
wynleDesign
i likethe idea too, very nice illo!
Bana
http://larvayyo.blogspot.com
this is wonderful...love the story behind it, too.
violetismycolor
http://valentinois.typepad.com
Beautiful illustration and fun story to boot. Thanks for sharing!
I love it. Very obvious that you spent a lot of time on the details ;o)
Post a Comment