Yesterday we took them to see the Sculpture by the Sea exhibition, which is an annual event hosted along the headland between Bondi and Tamarama beaches. It’s a spectacular backdrop for some stunning sculptures. I loved the glass fence, and the kinetic wind and solar antennas, but I think the standout piece this year was the giant scaffolding wave.

Today we went to the aquarium and set about on the quintessential hunt for Nemo. Fish are cool. There’s one great room in there set up like a little amphitheatre with the lights down low and classical music up loud, so you can sit and watch giant cute flat-faced silver fish dance in unison before you. I also loved watching the octopus gracefully untangle its tentacles before twisting them back up again as it shifted position. I absolutely love the manta rays, but once again I had a favourite, and this time it was the “moon jelly fish”. The tank was entirely dark except for a red spotlight making the jelly fish shine iridescent red, and they undulated in and out like slow motion fireworks.

Our quest to awe the kids seemed to work, but the plan to wear them out failed. I’ve held little hands, ran and chased, and been given more slappy affectionate hugs around my legs than I can remember. Although my own name was almost worn right out from it being called out repeatedly all weekend, (usually followed by “Come over here” or “Look at this!”).
Our 5 year old buddy (as Mr You and I sat on the couch with him last night) announced he wanted to do “who’s the cutest”. His mum shook her head in that “I don’t think so” way, but he continued…
“Do you want to know which one of you is the cutest?”…
I won’t say if it was Mr You or I who won the highly sought after award, but I WILL say that he is now my very favourite 5 year old!
(plus he taught me how to beat-box by saying “books”, or “b-k-s” over and over again really fast).










1 comment:
good luck allison, hang in there.
Post a Comment