flossy-p home

Thursday, August 17, 2006

game play

Play
My Illustration Friday attempt for "play".

What if Snakes and Ladders is a form of economic propaganda, and all these years and I've never noticed? What if it's encouraging us all from an early age to climb the ladders of success, join the "straight and narrow", and ignore the playful snakes.

Those evil snakes will bring you down, ignore the urges and pagan desires to live your life in a natural, creative, playful fashion. The only way to better your standing in society is to join the queue, step in line, and work hard for big business. If obeyed, you may be rewarded with a shortcut up one of the many ladders of success.

Poor misrepresented snakes.

22 comments:

rania said...

wow, flossy-p, this is amazing! i love it! I much prefer to play with the snakes in life. Ladders are just so straight and narrow.

faeorain said...

Amazing work! You came up with a very unique twist on the topic and the game! Wonderfully done!

luisa brehm said...

your drawings are always amazing !!!

° said...

well now that u totally distroyed my illusions of sucess in the corporate world and shattered my childhood memories of this game wht more can be said.... uhmmmm u wicked wicked woman wht a dark and sinister take on the whole theme this week great concept and illo and fun for all.

Stacia said...

It seems the little girl is trying to grow up too fast by taking her gambling addiction to new heights! Ha ha - love this image. A lot to study and many interpretations could be made! Love your details!

Ellen said...

Love the entanglement of the prose with the illustration. You have done a wonderful job translating the theme to paper!

Diane Duda said...

i love everything about this!

ELLA ELVIANA said...

hehe...very surreal and magical. *thumbs up*

Amy Farrier said...

gorgeous execution of a complex idea. love the snake colors and the fang/party hat combo.

Regina said...

This is brilliant! I just love those gorgeous and colorful snakes. Ladders are boring. Great job!

lil kim said...

wow, you always come up with such amazing concepts, and then render them so beautifully. Yes I'd definitely want to be down with those snakes - they look like they know how to party!

Anonymous said...

Love it, well executed and thought out.

Sally said...

Ha! I knew my phobia about snakes came from somewhere in childhood - now I know. I always disliked that game ;-)...
Anyways, great job on the illustration! It truly is another unique take on the weekly word. You are so creative!

Michele Melcher Illustration said...

Thats a beautifully done illustration!

kat coyle said...

flossy-p you're brilliant!

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty, whimsical & fun. I like the colors and overall movement.

Amy Zaleski said...

Flossy, you really take illustration to a whole other level. I'm consistently amazed by your work. This piece says so much. I love all the symbolism and the overall concept behind this, as well as the small touches like the party hats on the snakes. The entire illustration makes a very cool organic shape ~ so eye catching!!

stephanie said...

What a great take on the word play and your connection of the game to life. Great illo!

Natura said...

This is a beautiful composition, very intriguing.

Serline said...

This is real cool.

Susan Mitchell said...

This is great and I love the composition! :)

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister.

:^)