flossy-p home

Thursday, November 09, 2006

smoke

Smoke
My Illustration Friday attempt for "smoke".

The idea of burning a love letter (or anything for that matter) seems to me to be a conscious recognition of an end. Letting go of something that once meant so much, surrendering it to the smoke to carry it away into the ether. Like a spirit, gracefully removing the old to make room for the new.

Unrelated to my illustration, but interesting all the same:
In an interview with Bono on tv this week, he told a poetic story (that someone had told him), about the old library in Sarajevo holding some of the worlds most ancient books, being bombed during the Bosnian war. The building was lost. For days after, historically important, ancient, precious, ashen words floated down from the sky, and spread around the city.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very delicate and ethereal looking piece of work. Lovely background. I like that the smoke is actually a physical thing like a paper creature... I also liked the paragraph below. Very poetic and touching. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

° said...

this a womderful illo and concept

Diane Duda said...

She's really beautiful. The colors in your work are always just perfect!

Michelle Lana said...

Lovely illo, FLossy P! Great!

Anonymous said...

this is so beautiful! The smoke is so different, I agree with what TJ had said about it looking like a paper creature. the use of white space is perfect and really makes this so visually appealing!

Anonymous said...

this is so great. you're always so imaginative with your pieces. beautiful.

Kosmoswolf said...

That is awsome. I love the imagination.^^

Anonymous said...

I love the composition, and that color green is infectious(at least for me)

Olivier aubin said...

Nice idea!


Bino

http://portfoliobino.free.fr/

http://binoland.blogspot.com/

Jeope said...

Gorgeous, flossy. The texture and style is right up my aisle. Beautiful.

JO said...

Lovely, a wonderful concept, and drawing.

Amy Farrier said...

amazing colors (i totally want a dress that color now) and composition. i like the sketchy, angular lines and the way the smoke's a bit cubist.

islandarts said...

This is so great...another gem flossy!

Jules said...

Beautiful! I love the smoke.paduolz

studio lolo said...

Very beautiful illo and nice words as well!

Rosa Prat said...

great concept and wonderful work! :)

Jeannetto said...

beautiful piece

Anonymous said...

lovely illustration. i just love the color combination, great line.

Anonymous said...

Hey Flossy! Great concept. I love the colour palette and the way you rendered the smoke. Very clever - I love it!

lil kim said...

gorgeous flossy. this is so elegant.
Thanks for your comments - I think it's really important to look back on what you've done sometimes and give yourself a pat on the back, instead of always focussing on what we haven't done yet!
Looks like you're going well with your shop. good on ya mate :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment today. I am in fact coloring in the illustration (I started two nights ago). Will repost for your perusal. And Re: "Dear Nelle"... if you need a web developer, please surf through my main website: http://www.enesher.com -- maybe I can help!

Anonymous said...

you are too good,ma'am. Pure love!

isay said...

i would not want to miss this illustration and great concept.

Amy Zaleski said...

Wow, missed this. Bittersweet, burning those letters, but the right thing to do....Love the colors here.

Nicolette Davenport said...

This is so gorgeous. I like your post for 'clear' as well.