Yesterday my Sister Sparkle and I set up my first ever market stall. I had spent many many hours everyday last week working on a range of childrens paintings especially for this day. There were pirates and mermaids and unicons, princesses, a wizard and a few trees - sweet folk from the lands of myth. I also had some Christmas tags and cards, some hairbands, and Sister Sparkle made some earrings and two little bags. Our stall looked colourful and inviting, even if I do say so myself. The market itself was small but very sweet. I was happy that it was indoors as I didn't have to worry about things blowing over or melting in the sun. I expected there to be lots of handmade stuff at the market, but over half of it was party-plan glitzy jewellery, tupperwear and avon make-up, so I had lots of people questioning if I had made the art myself. (We don't have anything like Renegade Craft Fair here in Sydney, which is rather depressing. I've recently been wondering what it would take to set one up).
Anyway, we had good fun at the market. I really enjoyed it. I got some lovely feedback and had lots of good chats. I think wearing my vintage dress was actually a very clever idea, lots of people complimented me on it, which opened up a line of conversation. :D
I didn't sell as much as I expected, but the other stall holders told me we were up against a big Carols by Candlelight festival that was on nearby, so the crowds were down. This particular market is only on twice a year, so I may have to look around for others. The good thing was it was small and quaint, I didn't need insurance, it gave me a good taste of what it would be like to do it more often, and things I would need to consider next time.
I'm going to research postage costs this week, and then consider putting a few smaller pieces on Etsy. I'll keep you posted.










4 comments:
I know, I know--Australia definitely needs to be educated in the coolness of individual handmade, hey?
I would definitely have turned up to your stall and bought something special if I lived on the right side of the country! It all looks *so* good!
it all looks irresistible to me!
Hey flossy - been meaning to say 'good on ya' for getting everything together and good luck and now it's all over but well done anyway! Your stall looks great.
by the way, you've been tagged! check my blog :-)
xx
Your display looks fantastic! way to pull everything together in such short time. I love all your paintings and the colours are so appealing. Good job!
Post a Comment