flossy-p home

Sunday, December 31, 2006

as the sun sets on another year

You’ll have to bear with me as my spongy over-sugared brain takes its time to re-connect with my fingertips and goes through post-holiday typing on a keyboard rehabilitation.

HI! Hope you all had a nice Christmas. We’ve spent the last week and a bit back up the coast with Mr You’s family; eating, getting lazy, eating some more, reading, fishing, did I mention eating?

Just before Christmas we were bestowed with another God-baby (one of Mr You’s nephews). This time last year we were given our very first God-baby, now we have 3 all in the space of a year! (actually Mr You has 4). How God-Fertile are we?!
(must be all those times I went to church... I've been at least twice now)

We had a sweet quiet-ish Christmas, played with the niece and nephews and were privileged to some full-on 70’s style psychodelic acid-trip sunsets across the river.

I can’t remember what else we did… caught up on some reading, made some earrings and necklaces with Mr You’s mum (she’s just discovered beading and is obsessed). Mr You tinkered on the mandolin that I got him for Christmas. (He gave me a handmade gift voucher for a generous shopping spree on Etsy – weeeeeeeeeee. I haven’t started yet, but can’t wait to get stuck in.)

Ah, I’m really out of practice and I’m drivelling boring old crap now, I’ll just show you some photos instead.

Sunset over Boat

Kangaroo Paw

House Front


On the long drive back home yesterday we marvelled at how beautiful phrases such as “Hexam bypass” and “Kempsy bypass” sound, while clogged in traffic waiting to get through the traffic lights on the highway at Kempsy and over the weird bridge at Hexam. We were so overcome by the loveliness of these phrases Mr You wanted to wind down the window and shout them out to share them with the locals… luckily he refrained.

We did go off the highway to find some lunch in one of the towns that has already been bypassed. And this is what we found…

Highway Hub

We ended up eating a meat pie on a table next to some bins outside of the bakery (because I wanted to support the local business instead out eating at the Mobil service station diner), and just as I was about to order the lady behind the counter scowled at me when I smiled at her. I know a highway bypass usually devastates the economy of small towns, but is it any wonder? Seriously she scowled at me! She dipped her chin, pursed her lips and squinted her eyes right at me.
Isn’t bypass such a pretty word?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you. I was doing a bit of catch up, and I am envious of your "secret" blog, and having one that friends and family know about. It is a funny thing about identity on the blogs. It is not like I have anything to hide, but since people can come and stay as long as they want, reread, and speculate why you haven't posted, or why the hell are you posting about giraffes....yeah, I should have left my blog private!

Enjoy the New Year, your photo of the sunset is dreamy. I am glad I found your blog.

islandarts said...

I'm so glad you had a nice relaxing holiday- because family and food and eating food is what it's all about. Right???
Here is to a brilliant 2007!

Great photos too flossy!

Allison said...

breathtaking photos! wow! happy holidays to you.

Majeak Ann said...

*wonderful, beautiful scenarios*
thanks for sharing, have a GREAT 2007!!
xox
Marjorie

Rayne said...

Bypass is a lovely word. Had to give it some thought but yes, it has a nice roll to it.
Loved the pictures, it seems odd to me to see everything all green and growing when here Christmas time is cold and snowing. I rhymed! Am I way cool or what?

Rayne said...

Yes, I am back again. To begin with, let me explain that in the mornings I am a bit slow. After reading your blog I went upstairs to make breakfast. As I was standing there waiting for my tea kettle to whistle the boat/building picture flashed through my mind. I had to ocme baack downstairs and look at it. Is the boat supposed to be there?

flossy-p said...

hehehehehehe the boat building had the same effect on me too. I can only assume it was a quirky gimmick someone came up with back in the hey day of the town, while the Highway did still pass through it. Now it's run down and long abandonded and there is no clue left of what i used to be. I was to afraid to ask the scowling woman about it.

Rayne said...

Apparently the scowling woman didn't believe in service with a smile. I don't think I would have asked her about the boat either. For all we know, it could have been her boat or her building, or both. This might have been why she was scowling.

Willie Baronet said...

Awesome pics! Have a wonderful new year!!