120 people within the first 10 minutes, all crammed into our tiny house at the one time. Complete strangers pushing themselves into our bedroom, our bathroom, and sitting on our dining table, as there wasn't enough room for that many people to stand in the same room simultaneously. After the first half it petered out a bit, so by the end there had probably been 200 people through.That was our Saturday morning. The first of many open house inspections for the sale of the house we live in. It only lasted half an hour, but it was awful enough to make us pretty miserable for the rest of the day. I had spent half the day before and all morning cleaning every nook and cranny of the place to make the house look good. I even polished the floors, only to have 200 people (none of who even attempted to wipe their feet) trample through it, so that I ended up having to clean the floors all over again afterwards.
I sat out the front for most of it, watching as people streamed continually down the street and straight through our front door. It was like there had been a train pull up around the corner, and everyone getting off was coming to our house. Mr You stayed inside for most of it (mainly because he couldn't actually get back out again). Both of us overhearing comments, some good, some bad: "Well how could you live in this, it's tiny, you couldn't. You'd have to knock a wall down"... etc.
Next time Mr You wants to stick up a sign that says “We are only the tenants, not the owners, we have nothing to gain from this, please respect our furniture”.
And I want to hang my art on the walls with price stickers and business cards. ;)
Up to this point we were half-way to making the decision that we may try and move out of the city, not to the suburbs, but to a whole new town, a much smaller one way up north. After Saturday morning we were 95% decided. The final 5% being us managing to travel up there, and find a new house, come back and move in the time before we have to be out of here.
So it looks like we'll be moving away from the city altogether. We've been talking about it for about 2 years, but we kept chickening out, thinking we were too attached to work in the city, city lifestyle and friends. This time, it seems as though many things are falling into place (or out of it) enough to convince us that this time, the timing is right. I'm frightened (I've been in Sydney my whole adult life), but I'm also excited. I’ve got many many thoughts running through my mind, and a huge pile of work to get through, so life seems cramped and scattered.
On the up side, while packing more boxes, I went through all my old art folders and cleared a whole heap of stuff out (don’t worry it was crappy stuff), I managed to fill the whole recycling bin with old drawings and sketches. And there are a couple of sculptures in the rubbish bin. It’s so cleansing getting rid of old stuff. The nicest part was finding work I’d forgotten about, that reaches all the way back to school in some cases, stuff that I really like. It’s reassuring. (E.G. The drawing above is a small section from a school dance poster I did back in high school. I’d forgotten that somehow I became the school poster illustrator. That was a nice reminder for me that despite being lost in the business world for so long, I’m finally back on the right track).
Anyway, times are a-changin’. I know there are quite a few of you guys that have moved away to new towns. What’s it like? Do you fear not finding new friends, and losing the old ones? Trouble finding work? Have you ever regretted it, or do you just move on? I’d love to hear your stories…
(p.s. one of the reassuring things about moving away, is that it won’t effect our friendships in the slightest.)










10 comments:
we're trying to get into the planning stages of moving right now. we have a few things to fix up on our house- rent it or sell it- and head on out. hopefully sooner rather than later.
... good luck with finding a house and moving - it can be fun. i love house hunting!
oh goodness flossy! I grew up in New Mexico, US for 20 years. I knew my city in an out, I had the same friends for years, I was established and comfortable. Then I married Love and I've been in 3 different states since then and have moved 8 times. It was actually really refreshing. Very difficult at first because I'd left everything I'd ever known. I learned that I never really knew how to make friends, or what to do with strangers. Moving has made me open up a little more. Explore new places and make new friends. It will be scary at first, but I'm certain you won't regret it! Good luck with everything. Keep us posted!
xx
P.S. I am ever so slightly OCD and I'm certain I would have broken down in tears to endure that open house!
There is no way I could have endured the open house. I would have been in tears the day before and the day after.
We are a military family and have moved multiple times and have lived all over the U.S. and Germany.
Every place has been different. Some of the ones I thought I would hate I ended up loving and vice versa.
The one thing I have learned is stay true to yourself no matter where you live. Seek out the activities you enjoy and you will find like-minded people. Have patience making friends. And the other thing I would suggest seems to be something you are already doing, use each move as an opportunity to get rid of the dead weight and clutter. It feels so good to shed those pounds.
speaking of chocolate fountains...i'm going down for the wedding next week and they are going to try the fountains again. should i tell my mother of your fiasco? or just wait and see what happens?
i've moved a lot and traveled a lot in my 25 years, and although i used to swear when i was younger that as soon i was out of my parent's reach i would never-ever-ever move again, i have found that the forward motion of my younger years keeps propelling me into new experiences and new places. moving isn't easy, and as i have had to learn many times, neither is making new friends and leaving old ones behind. however, i always come back to kent nerburn's words on travel and henry miller who said "One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." And for me, to be able to see things - new things, the same things, ordinary things, and extraordinary things - in a new way is priceless and worth every bit of discomfort that packs into moving. with every move i find my horizons stretch a little farther in every direction, life a little deeper, a little wider.
and on leaving friends, which in my opinion is always the most difficult aspect of a MOVE: i won't say "oh, you'll make new friends," because of course you will but they never replace the old ones. i will say that a good friendship will remain a good friendship despite the distance. i have kept friends in every place i have ever lived and our conversations and time spent together is only made more precious by the distance between us.
best wishes flossy dear! my thoughts are with you . . . in fact, would you like me to come help you pack? i've packed many a box. keep us posted**
Hello Flossy! I am glad that mad Saturday of yours is over and I hope that your move will be a successful one.
The lease fr our apartment will be due at the end of September. The landlord is making a hefty raise which means that we may be packing up soon if the price ain't right.
My husband wants to move to another country. In fact he has job offers in Oman. But I am not sure if the time is right to move and if my dream will ever be fulfilled there. (At least it is slowly taking shape here.)
Anyway, best wishes from me to you. Keep us posted. :)
200 people? It must be a fierce house market in Sydney... most homes around here don't get that many visitors looking to buy... especially on the first day.
I have faith you'll do just fine. For so long I could not imagine not being by the city... I went to school there, worked there, spent my weekends there in the urban setting. Now life is very different, but I've fallen in love with it. Things change, and I think a variety of scenery is good. You'll meet new friends, find new places to go, new things to see and it will be a very exciting first year for sure. We've only been here 15 months and still getting to know the area. I love the newness. :)
Thank-you friendlies :)
oh my gosh we're thinking of moving to the next suburb and im freaking out...haha but hey good for you! change is great and if you dont like it, Sydney is still here with open arms!
Sorry to hear the inspection was a nightmare - its a popular area and the market is stale so people are definetely looking...you
should display
your
art -why not?
your drawing captures the craziness! :-)
Post a Comment