First, when Mr You was in the garage this morning, this little fella ambled in.

He's a tiny little brush-tail possum, and he sat in there watching Mr You all morning, even through the power saw and drilling noise that chased me away. (Mr You is building stuff at the moment). He's still there now and is so cute and not at all afraid of us - I just want to pat him... but I know better. The lady from Wires who I spoke to assured me he'll go on his merry way after dark tonight, but if he's still there in the morning, it means he's lost his home.
I did not, on the other hand, mention this guy to her...

Can you see? Click to see it bigger.
Maybe this will give you a clue...

Or this?...

Okay, so I was on the phone to a client this morning, and noticed this huge snake making it's way along the roof guttering of our neighbours house. Silently (because I was on the phone) I waved, pointed and gestured madly to Mr You. By the time I got off the phone and went to investigate the tree python had made it's way into our trees!!!
At first, to be quite honest, I almost shat myself (remember I'm a city girl, this is all new to me). Then once we realised it was not at all viscous we stood and watched it. Mr You took these very close up photo's, and even some video of it making it's way gracefully through the trees. It was BIG. Probably almost 2 meters long (that's about 6 feet), and at the widest part it was as fat as my arm from shoulder to elbow. But it was beautiful. The photo's don't really capture the amazing crisp green colour of it's skin. I watched it make it's way from the trees to the fence and slide (while wobbling as it tried to balance it's length) along the top of the fence. It managed to go quite a way, before finally losing it's balance and plopping off onto the ground. Luckily for us it fell over the other side of the fence (not into our yard), and I knocked on the neighbours door to warn them about it.
It's funny, as long as it was in the tree I was okay, but the thought of it on the ground freaks me out.
This all comes after yesterday, while driving home along the highway after doing some shopping, Mr You starts fiddling with his pants. I nag at him about how dangerous it is to fiddle while driving at high speed... Only later after we were out of the car did he explain to me that his "fiddling" was actually him tucking the leg opening of his pants up tight so that the GIANT SPIDER that had crawled over his legs twice while driving wouldn't find it's way inside his pants!!!
I tell you what, the local critters are reeeal friendly round these parts... If only they were our age, interested in good music, and were human.










6 comments:
Yikes! I'm a city girl too. The possum i can deal with, we have our own version in the yard, but the snake noooooo. And spiders up the pant leg, no thanks!
I'm impressed with the way you handled all these critters! Critters and I aren't on friendly terms. I am terrified of most of them!
Oh my goodness! The critters are certainly fond of you! Possum is cute, cute, cute and It must be a pleasure having the little fella around. The snake on the other hand - well, I can appreciate their beauty and I know that carpet snakes are really good, placid creatures, but *shudders* I don't know that I'd want one so close to home!
A while ago on tv I saw that two huge carpet snakes had crashed through someone's roof into their toilet - when they went to go in the morning the snakes were climbing over the vanity and up the walls (they were huge!). Imagine that?
And the spider in the car - that's one of my secret fears - that and canetoads - ewwww. Don't we live in the most magnificent country, haha!
I almost drove off the road because a huge spider starting crawling on my while driving.
Another "nasty-creepy-crawlies-that-almost-made-me-drive-off-the-road" story is when I was eating granola bar bites while on my way to work. I won't mention the company that makes them, but they are a big brand, and these were brand-new factory-sealed. I had just bought them the day before. I was happily munching on them when I just happen to glance down and see something that did not look right- maggots. Crawling inside the granola bar wrapper/bag and inside of the food I was eating. I was so mortified that my car almost went off the road. I pulled over and jumped out and was spitting and bouncing about. I had already eaten half of them, too so then started to visualize these little white maggots crawling around in my belly. Needless to say, this was not a pleasant feeling. Always make sure to give your food a good look before eating it. Blech.
Your snake is HUGE. We don't have snakes that big, or colorful, around here. Must be really pretty to look at... as long as it does not make its way inside your house! :)
holy petunias. you are one tough cookie to live amongst such wildlife. i love all creatures great and small, however, i just would faint dead away if i saw a snake like that outside my window or a spider in my pants!
too much excitement!!!!
xo
s
WOW! WOW! Sooooo crazy! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment