flossy-p home

Monday, December 24, 2007

not just talk

I’m not sure I’ve ever been able to say this before… I feel so proud of our new government! A month ago we had a federal election and ousted the last government after a very long time. In the short space of a month the new government has already made giant leaps towards climate change (in a good way, instead of bad for once), ratified the Kyoto protocol, pressured the Japanese government into not slaughtering 50 humpback whales this year (an endangered species, although they’ll still be whaling), and now they’re reviewing our place in Iraq.

Finally I feel like I can come out from hiding my face behind my hands and be proud of being part of this country again. It’s early days, so I’m still erring on the cautious side, but at least now I’m feeling hopeful. It’s amazing to live in a democracy where you can influence who represents you, your country, and your place in the rest of the world.

Power to the people, people – take it back – be part of the change – vote for what you believe in! Vote! Yaaaar !– hehehehe.

No comments: