"What I'm making this week, holding it up under a lamp to get enough light, Wednesday"We do our grocery shopping at a beachside suburb about 5 mins drive away. We've been there so many times without actually having a look at the beach... until about 2 weeks ago. We were so surprised to find a beautiful estuary with giant norfolk pines, baby beaches and a bridge. Naturally we crossed the bridge over the creek out of curiosity, and naturally our curiosity urged us on when we got to the other side. We walked though a lush mossy forest, with elkhorn ferns clinging to the tree trunks. We came out the other side pushing through an aisle in a field of waist high native grass, passed a few shrubs on the other side and then found ourselves on a headland overlooking the ocean. We could see our headland from there, but this one, only a few minutes away, is completely different.
On our way back, as we were passing back through the tall grass, a flock of zebra finches burst out of the shrubs, meep-meep-meepping as more and more appeared. There must have been about 50 of them all up, bouncing along the grass tops, then disappearing in their own camouflage. (I've never seen that around here, but just 5 mins down the road there's a whole other world)...
Soon after we were pushing a trolley up and down the aisles of the supermarket, giggling when we realised that the people we'd passed in the forest must have thought I was a total tourist: wearing my dangly earrings, smart jacket, nice shoes, and handbag - dressed for shopping, not a forest walk. That's what happens when your curiosity gets the better of you.










3 comments:
I'm jealous of your amazing flora & fauna! The illo is wonderful & so's the story behind it. Curiouser & curiouser!
What a magical find! I love the new piece it inspired too!
Lovely story, there is nothing really like that around where I live, I am very envious. But I can picture it. Beautiful illustration Flossy!
Post a Comment