
Another weekly wrap-up post. Hope you don't mind...
The week before this one (and this one too) was filled with sad news, close friends breaking up, not just one set, but a couple. Children involved... very sad. Which had me feeling like my trip to Sydney would be bitter sweet. And it was. But the sweet was great.
I had a really really fun time in Sydney. Just a few action packed days, but filled with all the right stuff, good friends, good food, and some very very good news...
The city was in full Christmas swing, with the David Jones window displays delighting crowds. My Grandfather used to bring my mum to town to see the windows every year when she was a little girl. A very sweet tradition.

While I was there I had a business meeting at the Art Gallery of NSW (that's our State Gallery, currently showing Monet), and the good news that I mentioned earlier is that from the new year they will be stocking a range of my greeting cards in the gift shop. Not just a couple, but a few of every single one in my catalogue. I can't even begin to describe how shocked and excited I was by this. SHOCKED and ELATED! I got some really great feedback and encouragement from them too, so I had alot to celebrate. And as usual, I now have something fun that will be keeping me very busy over the next couple of weeks. Did I mention the "shocked and elated" part?!!!

I went straight from that to my god-daughter's 4th Birthday party. It was very pink, and there was a fairy there. I took way too many photo's of my cute little bean, but she's so lovely it's hard not to. There were some great "kid" moments too... The best being when the Fairy (who's name was Pinky) told them it was time for her to go back home to Fairyville, one of the little girls asked if they could watch her fly away. That had me chuckling since I'd seen the fairy arrive in a hatchback and get changed behind a van parked on the street.

Later that day I met up with a bunch of friends at the Finders Keepers Artist Markets. There was nothing like this in Sydney when I was there, but since leaving just over a year ago, they've been popping up all over the place. It was all I'd dreamed of, and I over-spent, slightly, but you have to support each other, don't you? I circled Kareena (the cute girl with the pink hair in the photo below), eventually plucking up enough courage to say hello, but then far too star-struck to talk any further, despite really wanting too. She was really nice too, and so cute. I spent the rest of the time circling her stall some more, pointing and whispering to my friends, how awesome and famous she is, and how I idolize her... Then when she spotted me taking this photo from a distance, I'm quite sure she thought I was a complete loony. Quite rightly. Oh, well. :)

So I returned from my trip feeling very fulfilled.
_ _ _
Then as you all now know Mr You and I became betrothed, hehehe.
More shock and elation, I can assure you. I want to thank you all for your lovely comments on my previous post. It's been so exciting for me to share the squeals. I spoke to my sister on the phone yesterday, and it was SO SO hard not telling her, but I want to tell her in person, which I'll be able to do in just over a week.
Mr You and I have been so giddy ever since the other night. The night he proposed was our 12 and a half year anniversary together. I had thought that because we've been together so long, that if we ever became engaged I wouldn't really feel too different. But I can tell you, even after all this time together, the proposal still shocked me (perhaps even more so) and felt just as special and exciting as if we'd been a new couple.
I've also never really been a jewel girl. Never owned a precious stone in my life, so when Mr You told me he had all the "carat" information for the white gold and stones written down, my response was "It's got carats!!!??" I don't even know what that means really, but I know it's the real deal. And although now my left hand looks like it belongs to someone else (someone very ladylike and royal), I must confess I think I may be giving myself carpel tunnel from bending my hand back to look at the ring so often. I turn every light switch on with my left hand, and keep doing uncharacteristic things just to gain an extra glance. I've turned into such a girl! :)
One of my favourite things about it (who am I kidding, everything about it is my favourite thing) is the profile, which looks like an art deco building rising from the cityscape of my fingers. Like the Chrysler Building of downtown left hand. Heee.And while I'm still not yet knowledgeable enough to call myself a jewel girl, there are so many things about it that hold significance... the colour of that stone looking like tropical water; and being given it on the beach. The aquamarine being in the same family as the emerald; and the proposal was on Emerald Beach. The fact that despite me not being a jewel girl, and Mr You having nothing to go on by way of my taste, he chose something more perfect than I ever could have. And much more...
So I almost feel guilty, while others seem to be having such a terrible time at the moment, I just had the best week ever. :D










14 comments:
You definitely have had the most amazing week ever. I love the profile of your ring too and the gorgeous aquamarine....
It's so cool that your cards are going to be in the art gallery gift shop...remember us when you're even more famous ok!
Enjoy your fabulous week guilt free. Life is a roller coaster as we all know.
I was so excited to read about your cards. That is so great.
And the ring....well it really is just beautiful.
Flossy-P:
Never feel guilty about being happy. Happy should come with a guilt free price tag.
I am so excited about everything in this blog that is wonderful and sorry as well to hear about the break-ups of your friends. That is hard especially when they have children.
I am completely unshocked that you had such a great reception at the gallery with your art. I am very elated about it though.
Everything looks great in the post, I especially love the little girls birthday.
But what I love the most is your happiness that just comes off the page.
You and Mr. You will have a brillant life. I just know it.
Love you lots. Renee
I'm glad you are enjoying being a bit girlie and admiring your ring. You should! ;-) I'm looking forward to hearing about your family's reaction.
Congratulations!! The ring is just perfect!
A wonderful post and very thoughtful reading...I always find that in our moments of happiness there is always going to be reminders of life's roller coaster ride..no exception being close friends parting company...revel in your own life and support those who are aching...you have the right to be happy..guilt free. Fantastic news about your cards going into the Gallery shop too, that in my books would absolutely top off one beautiful week of new beginnings...(sorry I had to delete my previous comment there was a glaringly horrible spelling mistake!)
What a brilliant week for you! Pop the champagne and celebrate guilt-free. Some days are diamonds, some days are - beautiful, beautiful unique engagement ring! Happy Days Flossy-P!
WOOP WOOP!
That's so wonderful about the greeting cards. Good for you! And regarding your ring, I was exactly the same way. I never thought I would be so girly about a little piece of jewelry. Mine has the whole city scape thing going on too, I love it!
Sounds like fun anyway. And that picture of the balloons is just too good :)
Hehe WOW it really is your best week ever :) You can't see it, but I'm doing a happy dance for you and Mr You :)
What wonderful news. Congratulations!
It is so sweet to hear that things do feel different and special since your proposal.
OH MY GOD!! Engaged?? Wow, cogratulations Flossy-p! I'm so so very happy for you and Mr. You. And the ring is totally to die for. Gorgeous!!! What a lucky girl you are :) And I have no idea what carats are either, but holy crap, you certainly got the real deal, thats for sure!!
Now, I just started my holidays so after many months, I have some time to catch up on your blog. Now off I go to read more! happy holidays!!
Congratulations on your engagement! How thoroughly wonderful to be surprised like that after 12 years together... and the ring is stunning! I wish you a lifetime of more wonderful surprises and joy!
Post a Comment