flossy-p home

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

ice n' slice

BlackandWhite_220605
My Illustration Friday entry for 'Black and White'.

Last year I decided I wanted to learn how to ice skate. I booked myself into classes, got all rugged up, and off I went. However, before I got there I had a similar experience to that of the lead up of having your wisdom teeth taken out.

Anyone who has been through this will know that the week leading up to having your teeth removed brings people from all over, (some you barely even know) out of the woodwork, to kindly share with you every wisdom teeth horror story known to man.
"So and so's sister was green and blue with bruises from her cheeks to her collar bone."
"They didn't x-ray my friends' brothers' jaw before hand, and didn't realise the root of the tooth was hook shaped."
"The woman I work withs sister was left with half her face parralised."
"They had so much trouble taking the bloke from the pubs' wisdom tooth out that they accidentally broke his jaw. He was off work for 6 weeks!"

SERIOUSLY! As if it's not terrifying enough?!

Anyway, when telling people I'd signed up for ice skating, it was the same thing, all sorts of injuries, but mostly it was fingers being sliced off by someone else skating over your hand after you've fallen. From the sounds of it there were lots and lots of fingerless ice skaters out there.

I promptly took myself to the shop and purchased a pair of gloves which screamed "ALERT - Fingers in here!" the very loudest.
They are black and white striped, and must have worked a treat, as I proudly type this with all of my fingers in tact.

p.s. Just a quick illustration this week, as I've been busy redesigning the site.

3 comments:

Julie Oakley said...

I love the story and picture. I looked at your summer entry and you reminded me of how much I miss the smell of frangipani flowers.

Anonymous said...

what a darling illustration! i love the subtle touches of color - especially the rosy cheeks.

Dummiest popcorn girl in the world said...

quick illustration? oh my!! my draws are far good as yours and it takesme MORE time than (i think) u. Anyways, is so nice ur illo, Congrats! =)