My Christmas shopping plans may have swayed just a little off course this week... I bought something for myself instead! heh-heh. You see it's like this, when you haven't been shopping in ages, and then you're let loose in amongst a wild shopping frenzy, things are bound to go a little awry. Especially when you’re heading into stores and departments you don’t normally cross, so you can hardly blame me right? I was a helpless victim really.
This week I fell absolutely head-over-heels for this book. Some might say it’s merely a children’s book, mind you it’s children’s books that are usually the most beautiful. It’s presented under the guise of a dolls house, but isn’t really about dolls at all.
(which is my way of saying "I'm cool man. No girly dolls for me. Not me, No Sir")
It takes you through a number of historic periods, starting with Medieval England, 18th Century France, Victorian England, and finally to Belle Époque. Each era outlines the customary costume (including headwear, jewellery, shoes, bags and gloves), and common pastimes, but the best parts are the pop-up houses. The houses show not only the outside but also the inside and talk about home deco and art of the time. The book is filled with fabric swatches, pop-up and fold-out parts, and is all presented in beautiful quaint illustration. Even the front cover has a tactile velvet pattern and a tassel. YES A TASSEL! So you see why I just HAD to have it!
There are lots more photo’s of it in my Flickr.










1 comment:
hehehe, I got it at Kmart, believe it or not. Let me know if you can't find it, I'll go get you one.
Post a Comment