
My Illustration Friday attempt for "change".
As I perch on the edge of a very large life change myself, this week’s theme couldn’t have come at a more poignant time for me. Next week is my last week working at my job that I’ve been at for 8 years. I’m about to step over the edge into the unknown to try and move my working life away from the big beige business world, and align it more with my creative aspirations. Become more colourful.
My plans are small, vague, unformed, and cloudy. But you’ve got to start somewhere right? As exciting as this new start feels I’m petrified. Scared about how I will feel not being at my job after so long, thinking of what I will miss, and what I do next.
I find change hard. It’s a strange see-saw between excitement about a new opportunity, and a sense of loss and fear of the unknown. But there are many things I’m looking forward to. I’m grateful for that excited curious anticipation that is sitting just behind the fear, egging me onward. And I’m looking forward to taking the next step and seeing what colour I become.
EDIT: This is a re-worked version of my illo which demonstrates the effect I was originally after much better. My idea was based on colours growing out of the beigeness, but grey works better, and my beige was too bright. I guess the colour is already starting to seep in.










21 comments:
this piece is terrific, and hang in there! Try to ride the excitement and weather the nervousness. Think a year from now how different you will feel- and everyone knows time flies when you are having fun!
oh wow Flossy! this is such a big brave step! the most important things we do are normally the things that seem the hardest and scariest but are the most worth it in the end. best wishes, congrats, and hugs!
* and beautiful illustration - bodes well for a career in creativity!
You are so talented...I'm sure you will accomplish great things. Good Luck and Enjoy!
This is a beautiful painting and so appropriate for your situation. I love it!
beautiful watercolor as always..love it. good luck with your new job!
Nice one!
Change is always scary. I hope you will be able to find what you could not, in your new job.
Good luck :)
beautiful picture. lovely colours and I like the angle.
good luck with your big change! (and keep your fingers crossed for me, too - I'm facing a job change of a similar kind)
Cool. I like the chameleon. I thought about it like, "So Bob here went into the big hills over there and saw a lot of amazing things. Now he wants his fellow chameleons to check it out too. Here's a little preview for them. Both eyes please."
Good luck on your endeavors.
:)=
good for you, flossy-p! it is a very difficult thing to do, to move away from the safe and comfortable, but I'd be surprised if you ever look back. this is a lovely illustration of that - something green and unknown growing beyond the straight lines of everyday. who knows where the beanstalk will take you ?!
ps. love how the cars are upside down!
This is absolutely stunning, really reflects both your excitement and uncertainty about the future. Good luck with it, I am sure you will do well, that your courageous steps to be creative will be rewarded.
Like so many of your illustrations, this one is so layered and full of meaning. Thanks for sharing your story and your fears with us ~ and best of luck in your new endeavor. This challenge also comes at a poignant time for me, as I'm about to jump off a new and strange cliff myself. I'm scared too, but have been in a rut for so long that I never thought it would end. Just remember: something new, exciting, and even scary is better than the same old thing for too long.
Beautiful illustration Flossy! I think it communicates everything that you explained in your write up. I'm really excited for you and the new path you are taking. I also find change so difficult - fear of the unknown, fear of regretting the big step. But I agree with Amy - something new and scary truly is better than being stuck in the rut. Good Luck! Can't wait to see what your next step will be :)
truly fantastic !!! full of little details to see and wonder ....
well, you are like this ;-)))
wishing all the Best !!!
It's very brave to leave behind a piece of your old life and start in a new direction. Best of luck, and it will be fun to see what creativity emerges down the road. (I see some sewing/fabric projects there, that looks interesting...)
Excellent work!
un saludo :)
Very nice - I like the reworked version best. Good luck with the change!
Love the colours in that first piece... but I can see what you are trying to illustrate better in the reworked one.... well done! Good luck with the quitting your job thing...
thanks for sharing your story. be brave! it seems this is a necessary change. the re worked illo with grey seems more drab and that is what you are leaving behind, the dull life.
your drawings are always so interesting in their narrative details.
A beautiful illustration and it really captures the coming change. Change can be nerve wracking at times but you will never be bored and you are only on this planet once, so go for it! :)
Beautiful! I wish you the best in the future. Your talent will help you go far!
WOW, thank-you so much for your support everyone. It really does make a big difference you know! I'm going to print out all your lovely comments and stick them on the wall next to me for constant reassurance.
My fingers are crossed for you Tusen.
BGOZ, I'm not sure what to say, hehehehe. You're trippy interpretation gave me an insight I had not thought of, so thank-you.
Amy, my other fingers are crossed for you!
I am fascinated by your illustrations, very intriguing. Clean watercolors, bold compositions, great work!
thank you!
-Marjorie
Post a Comment