
My Illustration Friday attempt for "phobia".
My Mum loves Mr You, but not too long after we got together she pulled me aside for a mother-daughter chat. With an expression on her face as though she had discovered that he was one of those people who picks his nose in the car while stopped at traffic lights, she launched in to her chat. It was short and to the point.
“Flossy, he’s just lovely, but I don’t think you’re going to be able to carry his children”
right…
She was referring to the fact that I’m very short and he’s quite tall. She continued…
“He will have tall babies and I’m not sure your body will cope.”
So you can imagine what that did for the fears I already had about having kids!
Co-incidentally (before I saw the new IF topic), I’ve already confessed these fears just recently. The cliff notes are that I have a phobia about being pregnant and breastfeeding. (Is it any wonder?)
Turns out I’m not the only one with this fear, so it seemed strange to me that this very comprehensive list of phobia’s doesn’t have anything to even remotely describe it.
Sure “Arachibutyrophobia” is there: the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth!!! But not a whisper about pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding. Might I suggest this list was prepared by a man.
Seriously, peanut butter on the roof of your mouth??!! In my opinion that’s one of the pure joys on this earth! I know having a baby is also one of those joys, but I might just stick with the peanut butter for a little while longer, thank-you very much.
NOTE: I realise after having a second look, that this illo may raise concerns. Let me assure you, despite how it looks, Mr You is not Big Bird!










16 comments:
oh my.....great stuff flossy p! love your work!
That's rather scary!! nice take!
uh, yikes. but, i must say that childbirth is not fun and hurts like HELL; so your fears are somewhat based on fact! Great illustration by the way. I always look forward to your take on the subject. Vivid!
woah! ok, thanks for scaring me more. my views are changing too, thinking that it can't be so bad. and then i think again. and do this over and over every day. it's wonderful, really. *sarcastic*
Well, I'm glad I went and had all the kids I'm gonna have before I saw this...or I may have reconsidered!
It's no bed of roses, but it's no giant bird clawing it's way out of your midsection either.
Also, I didn't even consider breast-feeding and I don't think anyone thinks less of me (or even noticed) and my boys are all quite healthy.
So you should go ahead and do what you want to do when you want to do it.
Oh, and the painting is just brilliant!
oh, you pictured just my fears! I think I'm going to adopt a kid instead of giving birth. ( the wold is already overcrowded anyway)
Let me just say, it hurts. Well done.
Yikes! Yes, it does hurt like hell! I should know...my sons weighed in at 9lbs 11oz, and 11lbs 3oz.
Eeek! That is one crazy illustration Flossy. You have successfully freaked me out and I'm sure to have nightmares about chickens clawing their way out of my belly. Nasty!
But, the painting style is great. Is it acrylic? I love the brushstrokes in the background and the spatters from the chicken.
Y'ouch! I'm glad I've already had my chickens, I mean children.
I'm glad I read you description of your illo..I was a little disturbed by it. (i know it's PHOBIA But,...) now I see some humor too.
Very well done!
Mindy
i love the story and the illo as well.
you're being so brave sharing this
Wow, this is just awesome! What vivid colors and detail. The blues and oranges are so incredible together. Funny too!
HOLY COW this is frightening!!!! I have to say- those splatters add the perfect...ummmm effect? WOW! Great job. You dinfintely got your point across.
That is one expressive yet scary illo! I love the tones, splatters, etc and it is very well done.
I can understand the pregnancy fear, but didn't know that there's such a phobia as peanut butter sticking on the roof of your mouth...!!! *LMAO*!!!!!! I guess I learn something new everyday, huh :)
Ok, I'm sufficiently freaked out now. This is a huge phobia for me, too, so it didn't help seeing your creepy painting! (Not that it isn't good, it's wonderful, mind you). I'm 35 and counting. I think the thing that freaks me out the most is what freaks you out the most....the growing thing inside. Oh, and the excruciating pain. That's gonna suck.
Post a Comment