There's been a meme-ish type of thing ambling around the traps about the Mona Lisa. I didn't have a chance to get to it while it was fresh, but it reminded me of a few works I did when I was at uni. I still have them, so I dug them out from the bottom a box to show you...
They were works of protest (in a way). It annoyed me so much at the time, that what the lecturers responded well to, was if your work mimiced the look of an in-style-artist (there seemed to be a few to choose from). Make it slick, conceptual, and a rip-off of someone elses work, and you were in. One of the things they started to say to people in critiques was "well, it's not quite art, it's more like craft". ARGHHHHHH! God it pissed me off.
So... (rubs hand together maniacally) my next body of work were crafty reproductions of some of the most popular artworks of all time. I never explained the purpose of the work, so all they could say was, "yes, well they really are craft, not art". And despite me getting the terrible marks I expected, it gave me such a great laugh and sense of satisfaction.Anyway, I have chucked out most of my work from those days, but I hung onto these because I thought they were cute, and they still make me laugh.












9 comments:
That would really piss me off too! It's exactly what you'd expect from hack wanna-be artist lecturers.
I love the three pieces. They are really amazing. Good for you for protesting!
I love those! Art is art. Anyone who tries to put specific definitions on it doesn't know what they are talking about. These are beautiful!
These are SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Those are so clever! Wow, that must have taken some time and patience... you never cease to amaze me!
flossy, the last one i didn't see on flickr... i would BUY that. LOVE THEM! you amaze me ....
That is so funny!! And they are pretty cool works of arty craft, or is that crafty-art, whatever, I like them and they would've mystified the teachers.
I like your take on the works. Art is subjective ... thanks for sharing :)
I love these! Great work, you're me hero!
que bueno!!!!!!
excelente felicitaciones!!
Post a Comment