After our friend's wedding, the next order of business during my time in Sydney was to shop for our own wedding. On the shopping list was a wedding dress and shoes for myself, and two weeks to find them. It was a bit like a physical challenge from a reality TV show.
Here's how it went...
- Mr You had left, my Mum came down to shop with me (for at least a few days of the two weeks)
- By the end of the two weeks my jeans were baggier (I think I walked off a kilo or two), and my feet were sore.
- I shopped in dimly light designer stores, department stores, and a few wedding stores.
- I must have tried on about 300 dresses.
- I was asked about 300 times if I was planning on getting a spray tan!!!!!!
- I was asked about 150 times if Mr You would like me in this one or that one!!????
- A few scary moments, e.g. me in front of a huge mirror in a fancy dress, the shop lady whipping a bunch of silk flowers out of a nearby vase for me to hold... me getting a sudden dizzy spell and handing them back, muttering how I'm not quite ready for all that just yet.
- I went with an open mind... with the plan of trying stuff on even if I wasn't sure I liked it at first
- Having said that, I did secretly have an idea of what I was looking for...
I had gone with an idea of wanting a wedding dress of cotton eyelet fabric. Like the ones from The Cotton Bride...

Or with cotton lace, all with a floral motif...
This dress I saw in Alex Perry, and it's one of the only dresses I've seen before in a magazine and LOVED. I didn't dare try it on though because the price tag was WAY more than I could afford, I knew I'd want it bad, and I couldn't have bared the heartbreak.

It didn't pan out as I had expected but my mission was a success! I have bought a dress, and shoes!!!
The bad news is that the dress is not cotton or floral, and it's not at all what I would have thought I would have chosen before hand. The good news is that despite all that I love it!
I have to wait a few months to get the dress, by then I'm sure I will feel more at ease about looking "bridey". My shoes rock my world and I want to wear them NOW!
I'm so relieved that it all came together so effortlessly (if you can call 2 weeks of non-stop shopping effortless, hehe). I can't believe how well it worked out. Now it all feels much more real, and I now have a better idea where to start styling the event.
Before you ask, Mr You doesn't want me to tell him anything about what I'm wearing yet, so I can't tell you. Sorry. You'll have to wait.










9 comments:
Both of those are gorgeous...so am sure you've made a fabulous choice...also sure you won't be carryin silk flowers...
I am so glad you found your dress. That is wonderful news!
that Alex perry dress is divine!!
that white eyelet cotton dress is so grand ... love it !!
If these two dresses are anything to go by your must be heavenly! Your photography at the wedding is beautiful.
So glad you have a dress and shoes that you love-how exciting that is one big sigh of relief!
How exciting a dress and shoes that you love! Have fun with the rest of the planning!
yeahhh on finding a dress!!! exciting!
im spluttered my coffee out at the spray tan comment - haha
pls pls dont get a spray tan...oh thats upto you of course but it really does look fake!
Pale is the new tan anyways! ha!
i do love that Alex Perry number - id hate to think how much it costs!
I have been told - and it happened to me - that the dress that is "right" is almost never the dress you think it's going to be.
Congrats!
Post a Comment