flossy-p home

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

weddingy wednesday 8

The Element of Surprise:

The last couple of my friends who have gotten married have showed us all their dresses and shoes and stuff before their wedding. This was super-fun at the time, but somehow diluted the sense of surprise of seeing them in their outfit on the wedding day. One of the things I love most about weddings is the surprise of it all; the impact of seeing it all presented together at once.

Well, my sister completely trumped that category when her engagement party (that we were also in Sydney for), turned out to be a surprise wedding!!!!!!!
I KNOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!

So this weeks "Weddingy Wednesday" is care of my Sister Sparkle.

Here's how it played out:
  • We were all asked to arrive on time on the invitations. When I asked why, she explained they only had the room for a few hours and the food would start right away.... Fooled me. ;)
  • We arrived on time, and her best friend (quite nicely dressed) was ticking off everyone's names on our way in, and handed each if us a little card that welcomed us, told us to get a drink and have a nice time until the room was ready when we would be shown in. At this stage there was no sign of the happy couple, but we just thought they were in the room setting up.
  • After everyone had arrived the friend told us all it was time to go in, and then asked for the parents to come through first. WELL, this was the first moment when I thought something was going on, and I raced in right behind the parents.
  • We all went into the room and out onto a balcony where we were met by white chairs either side of an aisle, groom and celebrant waiting at the end!!!! Brilliant blue sky above, beach and sea behind.
  • The groom made the announcement, and the guests spent the next 10 minutes in shock and giggles, amid pointing fingers and questions "Did you know?"... It was a clever ice breaker.
  • Music started playing, my sister arrived at the end of the aisle, the groom went and collected her, and they walked in together. The wedding followed. I was called up to be one of the witnesses, by this stage red and puffy from all the happy tears (I spent half the time fishing for tissues in my bag... Note to all of you, if you're going to do this kind of thing, you need to provide a box of tissues for your sister and mum!)
  • Afterwards, we had a very informal reception. Just a quick thanks speech from the bride, a few nibbles and drinks to music, some cupcakes and a quick dance, and after a few hours it was all over and they headed off to have photo's taken. The next morning they left for a 2 week honeymoon.

J and Gs Wedding

It was amazing! Just like eloping, but making sure your loved ones are there to see it. Very clever. The only thing I feel bad about is that my sister had spent the 2 weeks prior shopping with me for MY wedding attire. I felt so guilty. She assured me though that she loved it, giving her the opportunity to do the girly bonding thing together that she wouldn't have had otherwise.

Oooo, she's a sneaksy one, she is!

They both looked stunning, and very happy. And I'm sure they will for a long time to come. :)

13 comments:

Jacinta said...

It sounds absolutely perfect. What a gorgeous surprise for everyone! Blue skies, romance and bright (if a little teary) faces are a great combination.
Lovely!

Renee said...

I am so enthralled. It is a fairytale Flossy-P. A fairytale told by my very own artist.

Beautiful.

Love Renee xoxo

Geek+Nerd said...

Oh - I got a little teary just reading about it! Sounds like it was very romantic! I wish your sissy a happy life with her new husband!

jan said...

What a great idea and a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Lois said...

How awesome was that?
What a great way to have a wedding!
Congrats to the newlyweds!

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

Wow that is beautiful. The photos look gorgeous. How sneaky! I don't think I'd be able to keep a secret that big!! Very cool.

Allison said...

how perfect, really perfect! that is the best surprise ever!

Chrisy said...

Looooved this wedding tale...how exciting...and the photos look fabulous...

Jade said...

that's such a fabulous story! What a perfect day by the sounds of it. Awesome.

paintandink said...

Wow!!! What fun!

Megan.K. said...

What a beautiful wedding story!

Jenny Bean said...

This is fabulous!! What a creative- great idea! The attendees will be talking about that wedding for years :0)

Shauna said...

Mag-bloody-nificent :) What a cool idea!