flossy-p home

Saturday, August 22, 2009

another creek-side commission

M and R's Commission

This is the other commission I mentioned. My bloggy friend Molly (who has commissioned a picture from me before for her best friend), asked me to do a painting for her and her husband's anniversary. Another nature loving couple, she sent me loads and loads of wonderful photo's of them (with their dogs) enjoying sunny days at beautiful foresty creeks.

She wrote about their story together, and of all of her husband's wonderful qualities.

Something I love about doing these commissions, which I've recently realised was the same thing I loved about doing wedding photography, is the privilege of being privy (for a moment in time) to these people's love for each other. Our celebrant-to-be was telling me that she is amazed at how thick and tangible a couples love is at the moment they are being married, and I know what she means. I feel honoured to be allowed in to this, and experience it in these distant yet intimate ways.

Does that sound pervy? It's not meant to. Honest, heeeee.

Any-hoo... there's something about this one that sings to me. I like the way it turned out. Again with a future tree (a combinations of the colours they're wearing), the symbolism of a long, clear, winding creek, and words in the little boats wake, chosen by Molly herself:

"Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what it was in nostalgia, nor forward to what it might be in dread or anticipation, but in living in the present relationship and accepting it as it is now."

5 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

This is wonderful too. I love the words Molly has chosen.

I really get what you're saying too about the opportunity to engage with people's stories. It's such a privilege to be allowed in like that.

You've got me thinking about my 10 year anniversary and a possibly perfect gift.

Renee said...

It is beautiful Flossy and I am sure they will go mad for it.

Love Renee xoxo

Anna Lloyd said...

I love these commission works Flossy P, they have a lot of feeling in them. I'm sure the couples will cherish them.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

they are SO brilliant! you are so clever and they are so lucky.

Just beautiful Flossy. xxx

Aussie-waffler said...

I love the emotions you have created here. This picture just makes me smile. Gorgeous.