flossy-p home

Friday, August 07, 2009

progress at last

I've finally had a whole day to concentrate on wedding stuff. Finally. And there's been actual progress!

I may be suffering from a worrisome, thick, unmoving, layer of envelope glue coating my tongue, but I've finally got the invitations ready to post! Again, couldn't just buy some, no I had to make them myself. But I'm so pleased with the results. EEEeee, this is the bit that has been most fun for me so far.

Once they are all posted and out there, I'll share here. Promise.

In other news...


My knitting lady rang today saying my capelet is ready to pick up!

Okay rewind>>>

So, our wedding is of the garden variety, during the evening it may get little cool. So I wanted something to wear to keep me warm. Something elegant, not too nanna, but not too glam either. Something with a vintage twist... I came up with the idea of having a fluffy angora capelet.

Sounds gorgeous in theory, but what I was to soon learn is that angora is hardly made at all anymore, and when it is, it is VERY expensive (it comes from bunnies, did you know?). I tried for weeks and weeks to find wool that would have a similar look, in just the right colour. Impossible task it was. Impossible. Adding to the difficulty is the fact that I'm allergic to most sheep/goat wool.

Just when I was about to give up, I made the most incredible discovery. A lady on Etsy unravels old jumpers into balls of wool ready to re-knit into something new! She had coincidentally just listed the PERFECT coloured angora wool, and lots of it. I couldn't believe my luck! The wool arrived, and although the colour wasn't the same as it was in the pics (it never is), it was still nice, and it is SO soft and fluffy. I adore it.

(Plus we have a little bit of a recycled thing happening for our wedding, so it fits in perfectly with that too).

That done, my next task was to find the perfect knitting pattern. A few weeks of intensive internet browsing, and another lucky find... job done.

Next time I was at the local craft markets I approached the knitting lady and asked if she would be willing for me to commission her to create the "creation". She agreed, charged me $40 (I paid her more though) and she was off. She's lovely, and we've become friendly in the process.

The next week I was dying my own buttons. (Seeeeee!? I can't just buy something, I have to make life complex for myself).

Anyway, the moral of the story, is that it's ready, and tomorrow I get to go pick it up! YAY for progress!


Here's a sneak peek at the wool and the pattern:
Capelet Wool

From this point on you'll have to bare with me as this blog becomes more and more wedding focussed. As do I.

9 comments:

Monique said...

Am enjoying the wedding onslaught. What a gorgeous cape and fab story. Cannot wait to see it in a few weeks time.

CurlyPops said...

Oh wow, I can't wait to actually see it. It sounds beautiful.

Chrisy said...

Very exciting! We'll bear with you...there's nothing like a good wedding!

Regina said...

You can find almost ANYTHING on etsy! It's crazy!

The capelet sounds perfect.

AND I can't wait to see the invites!!

Lois said...

Oh Flossy! What a pretty pattern and the colour is so soft looking.
I am glad that it is all coming together for you. I can hardly wait to see the finished product WITH the buttons.
And I agree with Regina.....I would love to see your invites! I hope you snap a pic and blog it for us.
Have a great weekend.
Lois

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I am soooooooooooo excited!!!!!xoxoxo

isay said...

my, so happy to hear the good news:)

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

I love reading about your wedding plans. I'm getting excited for you. Big stylie.

The capelet sounds magic, and the way it's come together is wonderful. What a great story. This wedding is going to be ace and awesome, and whoa nelly - so memorable.

Abigail said...

Okay, now my curiosity is REALLY piqued, I can't wait to see these invites! I can only image how nifty they're going to be :-)

Ooooh and that capelet is so chic.