flossy-p home

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

fresh garden glory

Fresh
My Illustration Friday entry for 'fresh'.

The smell of freshly cut grass is a new sensation in our household (or gardenhold). We moved into our house just before Winter kicked in this year. Out the back where a patch of grass may have been at one point, were a series of mini replica WW1 bunkers dug into the dirt, with not a sprout of grass to be seen.

When the previous tenants came back to pick some stuff up not long after we'd moved in, the cute little girl of the family asked "Do you have a dog?"
"No, do you?" (living in a rental house we're not suppose to have pets)
"Yes" she replied chirpily
"Oh, is that who dug the holes in the back garden?"
"No, that was our bunny"

Our Winter gardening efforts consisted of flattening the dirt patch out, and filling in the bunny-burrows. Once the worst of the Winter chill had passed we sprinkled some grass seed (which the birds were most delighted about), and lo-and-behold we now have a lovely delicate spindly lawn! It's like magic!

This is the first time we've lived in a place with a garden, so the whole magic of Spring is a very new novelty. Each time I go outside I discover yet another plant has un-expectantly burst into bloom, even ones I thought were nearly dead.
And who knew the tree out the back would transform into an amazing constellation of tiny white flowers?

6 comments:

AG said...

very nice!

Queen Tut said...

HEllo, I loved reading your story and the illo is very cute.

Anonymous said...

Great illustration.
wynlen

isay said...

it's running away from you! i think it will hide it's head! i like the snail!

milanrubio said...

Great style and very cool-fresh work. The story is cute too.
Nice work.

carla said...

I love your illustration and the story that goes with it. The little snali is adorable; I'm happy to see he's out of the range of the clippers. Enjoy your garden!