flossy-p home

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

weekend escape

Escape
My Illustration Friday entry for 'escape'.

Just this last weekend we had an escape of our very own. We spent the weekend moseying through the Blue Mountains. I spent my high school years there, so it was a bit reminiscent for me. We had a great weekend and managed to do so many things without feeling like we were rushed or cramming things in and it was all very relaxing.

I took Mr You to a spot I remembered from back then called the Mushroom Tunnel. It’s an old disused railway line that leads into a tunnel right in the side of a hill, and you have to walk through the bush to find it. I was amazed how I was able to remember the way after all these years, just from a visual map somewhere in the depths of my memory. I remembered the creek, and the hill, but also subtle things like a fallen log, and the flatness of a certain area. It’s an amazing sight: a railway tunnel entrance made from large sandstone blocks, that hasn’t been used in close to 100 years, buried deep in the bush.

We also managed to go to an incredible lookout, we happened upon a craft market with fresh strawberries the size of golf balls, bumped into some dear old friends, looked at lots of little galleries and craft shops, and had coffee and bread and butter pudding in a quaint café in one of the many cute villages.

The next morning we got up bright and early and headed down out of the mountains to the ‘Trash & Treasure’ markets in the suburbs. We packed our car until it bulged, and we’re thinking of going back for another go in the not too distant future.
I tell you, only the deep suburbs can do ‘Trash & Treasure’ markets like they can!

(OOPSY! I gave it away there. Yes, unfortunately, we were actually travelling in a green car, not a purple patchwork balloon. There’s always a next time.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely chronicle of your "escape weeked". I love the muted colors and the POV