flossy-p home

Thursday, October 13, 2005

all creepy islands aside...

Lost
My Illustration Friday entry for 'lost'.

My illustration this week is a homage to Allison of Cornelian Cherry who has decided to hang up her blogging gloves and focus on other important life goals. I am going to feel truly lost with out her: my internet day just won’t be the same. (Not to mention how lonely my blog will be without her visits and kind comments).

You’ll notice her in my ‘imaginary friends’ links just there on the side bar. These are people I have discovered (feel like I have lots of stuff in common with), have never met, but like to imagine that if we did meet we’d end up as great mates. (I have moments of insufferable optimism. I blame this on watching Care Bears in my youth!).

They are all good fun, you should check them out. Go on, off you go. I’ll wait here.

While patiently waiting, I ponder:
(start ponderous voice over, like in The Secret Life Of Us)
Blogging and everything that goes with it does take up quite a lot of time, especially if you’re trying to squeeze it in around a full day of work, study, and/or child raising, etc. And it is a challenge trying to balance work, spending time with the special people in your life, keeping up hobbies, staying active, eating, sleeping, etc. Particularly if you’re the kind who will only do something if you intend to do it well.

It’s important to be aware of when time is being sapped away from trying to achieve your goals. It can happen so easily. And in these times it is wise to take action before you let your impatient goals give up and slide away.

I feel fortunate that at the moment the hours I sap away online each day bring me into a community of creative, encouraging, inspirational people. I like that this is something that will remain the same no matter where I live. I won’t have to leave you guys behind when Mr You and I finally make the leap to move up north. It’ll be a nice and probably only constant element.

I’ve been thinking about my goals this week, and at the moment I think the main long term is to become a more crafty person, rather than being so office ridden. I want to learn how to live as a crafty person. I’m trying to learn by watching other people online do it, and do it their own way, and succeed. It seems as though this may in fact be a possibility after all. (although at this stage still a long way off and quite uncertain).

It’s amazing how close by you all feel even though you are spread all around the globe, and I look forward to hearing from you all each week.


Are you back yet? Oh good, in summation I just wanted to tell you that I find you all amazingly talented and a great inspiration. So, thank-you!

6 comments:

Ellen said...

I really like your illustration. Sorry about your friend.

doodlegirl said...

awww. i read your sweet blog. I know that empty feeling, but I believe you can keep an email correspondense going with Cornelian Cherry. And I do hope you two meet. I went to look on ths side bar to find your "imaginary friends" link, but alas... that, too was empty. :O(

I love your illustration. And please keep in touch with "cherry" as she'll need it as much as you...

carla said...

It's so true how we form attachments to and friendships with the people we meet in these parallel cyber universes. This is a lovely illustration... I see the lost look in the face and posture.

Anonymous said...

Your picture sure does a great job of showing how you feel. I know what you mean about bloggy friends...thanks for sharing yours with us!

Anonymous said...

a post in honor of me? oh wow! this hard decision just got harder. the saddest thing about giving up the blog is losing the daily connections with amazing people like you that i never would have met otherwise. the first time i read your blog i too felt certain that we if our paths ever crossed in our "real" lives, we would surely have been dear friends. as it is, i have been so inspired by your artistic talent, cheered by your humorous posts, jealous of your adventures vacations, pleased with your great taste in music, and awed by your kindness. so thank you for blogging and thank you for letting me be your imaginary friend. clearly, my blogging hiatus still includes a visit and comment every now and then, so i will be seeing you around flossy.

allison

Julie Oakley said...

Aah, I wish Allison had left her blog there.

I think if I give up (and her post reminds me of the many reasons to want to) I'm lucky that I've started with a free provider so at least I can tail off.

Lovely illustration - your desk is so much tidier than mine.