
Happy Australia Day for Thursday! I had a great day that started with me watching my mum finally (and proudly) become an Australian citizen after living here for 47 years. The day ended at a festival in a park that night, with a bunch of friends eating food from all over the globe (I ate northern African) and listening to bands. There was lots of stuff in between that day, and a belly full of food I’m still trying to digest.
Sydney has put on some pretty special fireworks displays over the years, however this year we weren’t in the city, we were in the nearby suburbs where the fireworks were not quite as slick.
Have you ever had an epileptic fit? I haven’t, but I’m pretty sure this is what it’d be like. It seemed as though uncontrollable kids were lighting the wicks by running up and down the firing line with a blow-torch. The fireworks there banging away in the too-near sky like bad teen sex, with no regard for timing, co-ordination, rhythm or choreography.
The “ooohs” and “aaahs” common to normal fireworks displays, sounding out in unison as each firework gracefully spreads its way wider across the night sky…harshly replaced with abrupt “Ahs” from the crowd in quick succession that ended up sounding like a Hip-Hop tribute gone wrong. The light was blinding and the colours mixed together to resemble a giant sky pizza. More children cried than usual, and my eyes leaked tears of hilarity as I laughed harder than I have in years!










1 comment:
congtatulations to your mum!
nice to know you áll had a nice time over there.
Post a Comment