flossy-p home

Thursday, June 08, 2006

self portrait

Self Portrait
My Illustration Friday attempt for "portrait". (phew I thought I'd never get this up, blogger has been down)

What's the best most fun thing about my new computer? Is it the processor speed faster than lightning? Nope.
Is it the gigantasourus Ram? u-uh.
Could it be the so-wide-it's-like-a-horizon-sitting-on-your-desk monitor? Nay.
It's a teeny bit of software that came with it; Photobooth.
You sit in front of the camera built into the monitor and it projects you back onto the screen. Then you click the button, count to 3, and the whole monitor flashes white light at you as it takes a photo.
So what? Well, the best most fun part is that it has all sorts of effects like a hall of mirrors. I've sat and warped myself into so many unrecognisable shapes it's getting to be a problem.

"Flossy, lets go get dinner ready"
"Okaaaay, just a second" (Mr You goes to kitchen alone)
Snap - Snap- giggle - snap - snap...
(Mr You comes back into computer room 10 mins later to find me STILL laughing at the shape of my own head!) oops.

I've Photoboothed everyone who has come to visit. Most photo's end up as the tops of peoples heads from them bending in fits of hysterical laughter. But I've also got wide smiles, tall foreheads, and stretched necks. I'm building up quite a library, should ever I need to blackmail one of my friends.

It makes it much more entertaining to create a self portrait than sitting in front of a mirror. This little illo is a somewhat less hysterical homage to Photobooth and the joy it brings, (but in a sombre Frida like pose, with an object of significance).

21 comments:

AG said...

pretty! :D photobooth sounds like a lot of fun!

° said...

cute illo like the way the hair comes down and seems to turn into a puddle

E Colquhoun said...

It's quite wonderful.

Eric
http://haydaily.blogspot.com/

Diane Duda said...

Love her blue hair puddle!

lil kim said...

That's awesome flossy, her eyes absolutely jump off the page (in a good way!)
Your Lennnyyyyy mmmmmm comment on my blog made me laugh - thanks - and of course I would have to agree :-)

Jeope said...

Beautiful, Flossy. Love the work on the eyes.

Regina said...

Very cool illustration! Love the flowing hair and the larger than life eyes!

Natura said...

Very creative and intriguing.

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Yeeeap. Like the eyes. She seems very serene. I only draw characters with eyes like that when they're about to go insaaaane. Which is about half the time.

That candle holder is funny. It looks like something out of Spongebob.

Anonymous said...

very cool...loving the puddly hair

Queen Tut said...

Very kool, I like the flowing hair as a backdrop and your colours are great.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You are a fabulous artist! I love her eyes and flowing hair!

Unknown said...

I love the face. I need to check out Photobooth. I also like your soft use of color especially the face, hair and eyes. I also love the puddling hair. Great job

Anonymous said...

amazing!!i love your colors.

albina said...

Gorgeous – those eyes. The eyes have it.

rania said...

i love this! especially the framing and use of the hair! wow! i think we have the same computer! I'm a bit suspicious of its powers and keep a post-it tab covering the photobooth hole when not in use! hehe.

Anonymous said...

a very cool style, i particularly like the eyes!

Geninne said...

This is so quirky and clever...very cool style you have here :-)
LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha - sounds like fun. Nice job on this portrait, I particularly like the fine shadows on the face and the long nose. Very Frida-esque!

Sarah
www.bunshine.com

Susan Mitchell said...

Bee-oo-ti-ful! So finely done and delicately painted. Love it:)

CRISTOSOVA said...

Wow, now you can photobooth and photoshop you at the same time - I believe one day you will find more pieces of you inside your computer than outside of it :) I love the blue hair to the blue eyes! (And do I detect a little mischief around the corners of your lips? ;))