flossy-p home

Sunday, September 17, 2006

cover your eyes

“You’ve got to just be cool” Mr You tells me. His Fonzie like mantra rang straight through both ears as I filled with excitement to the point of giddiness this week when I received a comment from Shauna.

Shauna’s What’s New Pussycat was the first blog I started reading regularly, and I still do, the first one that made me get the point of blogs. I’ve been reading her posts for years now; she’s wickedly funny, entertaining, and an impeccable writer. Even though I’m a huge fan (or maybe because of it) I’ve only ever lurked, so when she left a comment for me this week I completely freaked out.

Before thinking it through I dashed to her site and (sadly in the most uncool fashion) left the gushiest, most babbly comment EVER. I can’t even remember what I said now, something that resembled a giddy star-struck teenaged girl. I think I even compared myself to Tom Cruise jumping up and down on Oprah’s couch. eeek!

It was pret-ty bad.

The next morning flashes of the incident popped into my head. That awful feeling you get the morning after a big drunken office Christmas party and awake with a bad case of make-up smear among other things, flooded my entire body. That feeling of distant, unsure, but impending regret.

Pensively, through and apprehensive grimace, I clicked on the link to where I last left the offending comment… and it was gone! (that’s a bad sign)
BUT what’s worse, the entire post on which I left the comment was also GONE! Completely disappeared! No trace what so ever. That’s a really BAAAD sign.
(I hoped that maybe I’d dreamed the whole thing, but in every messy morning after somewhere deep down you know it’s real.)

I don’t know what happened, and it hurts me to think about. I eventually ran the whole scene past Mr You, prefaced with “Am I being paranoid, or does this seem bad?”

“OMG you’ve done it now” He shook his head “What have I told you? You’ve got to just chill out and be cool”

After a day of biting my lip and chewing my fingernails I returned to the scene of the crime. They say the guilty always do. And as though under a socially-spazmostic spell (or curse) of some kind, I left yet another long babbly comment on the next post. I couldn’t stop myself. WHY????

Anyway, it appears that Shauna has been watching nature shows about being under predator attack in the wild and has assumed the favoured survival pose. Fold your arms in tight, protect your vital organs, drop your head, avoid eye contact, stay very very still and don’t… make…. a…. sound.

Sorry Shauna. (gulp). I didn’t mean to creep you out. I guess I've learnt that I’m more of a Joanie than a Fonzie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh nooooooooo flossy dear! you didn't scare me or anything like that at all. and you certainly didn't prompt me to take the entry down. it's a really, really long story involving my mother and oprah and me just deciding i didn't much like that entry... i have a bad habit of unceremoniously yoinking entries like that.

anyway, i have been meaning to email you all week and say cheers for your lovely comment. your site showed up in my blog stats earlier this year and have been reading ever since, but only recently piped up because i'm one of those dreaded lurker types! sorry to have caused you blogparanoia :)

flossy-p said...

hee, hi, thanks. nice to finally meet you.

(now I'm really embarrassed. just be cool. just be cool.)

Jaci Clark said...

You guys are too funny! I love how the internet allows people to make friends, visit each other's work and get a glimpse of one's life! I've enjoyed reading both of your blogs (for the short time that I have) :)

Regina said...

I....can't....stop....laughing!!! Not just because of what you did, but because I've done the same thing myself! I think many bloggers have. I remember one time sitting at my desk, repeatedly smacking my forehead saying, "you dork, you dork, you dork!" It happens- it's uncontrollable.
Excellent post! phewww, now I know I'm not alone :)

Allison said...

ha! enjoyed this. as if you could be scary flossy!

Anonymous said...

Phew, I'm glad you posted this, because hopefully I won't be so creepy now.

I think I found your blog because I was searching to see if anyone had taken the username flossy flotsam [that's my livejournal username] on blogger. This was about a month and a half ago. Well, I found your blog instead and have been checking back every so often since. I think your illustrations are enchanting, and I enjoy the way you write.

I created my own blog here yesterday and updated for the first time today. So I won't be so haunting anymore.

[I hope you're not too creeped out!]