flossy-p home

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

shadow chasing

Footpath TilesI found a baby! It was hours ago, on my walk this-morning, but for some reason I’m still thinking about it.

I came around a corner and there was a baby. He was about, ooo at a guess I’d say 14 months: only just walking, not yet talking. He was high-tailing it along the footpath of a very busy road without an adult anywhere to be seen.

I wasn’t sure what to do, but I was sure I wasn’t going to leave him next to a busy road on his own, that’s for sure! It’s funny, all sorts of things went through my head…

My first instinct was to pick him up, but I didn’t as I feared the mother would appear at that very moment and scream out that I was kidnapping him. I was also very cautious about touching him for the same reason. I just started asking him where his mummy was and if he could show me where his house was (in my best playschool voice) while stepping in the direction he kept trying to go, to keep him in the same spot. But he just kept pointing to his shadow, which he was now starting to chase. I didn’t have my phone on me, and all I could think of was taking him to the primary school I could see nearby and asking them to phone the police.

But again I thought I was best just keeping him where he was, as I was sure it wouldn’t be long till his mummy came looking. As soon as I made up my mind to do that he started dashing down the path. I grabbed his soft chubby little hand and started walking him back. Not sure of which direction he came from I took a punt and decide to start knocking on doors (although I didn’t like the idea in case a weirdo claimed him). Just then a woman (wearing the facial expression of a mother who has just realised her baby is gone) came running up over the hill towards me. I knew from her expression immediately it was his mummy, and the ordeal was all over. She asked me where I found him, swooped him up in her arms and thanked-me swiftly and all in a panic. Then they were gone. I saw them go back home which was only about 3 houses away, but still that’s a long way from home for a baby, and even though the whole thing only lasted 5 minutes, it seemed like a very long time.

She looked like a nice mummy; a mummy who hadn’t slept well in over a year. And when I saw the business man carrying a folder at her front gate I pieced together a story about the real estate agent who came to visit, left the gate open and distracted the mummy long enough for the baby (with the enthusiasm of a every baby who’s just conquered the walking thing) to escape.
I crossed the road and continued walking. She smiled and waved at me from across the street while still being talked to by the business man. I got the impression that as soon as he left she would go inside, hug her baby tight, and have a good cry; a cry of exhaustion, fear, love and relief.

The weird thing was that I wasn’t supposed to walk that way this-morning, I was going to pick up my friend and drive to a park. But she cancelled and I walked around my own neighbourhood instead. At least 4 times I was about to turn back, but didn’t, and kept on going. I found the baby right near the end of my walk.


The baby didn’t even notice anything was amiss. I felt such a strong protective instinct for him in those few moments, and it was all over so quickly, that I’ve been wondering about him and missing him all day.

He was so cute and was wearing a tiny striped t-shirt. Good-night baby, sleep tight. .xx.

12 comments:

islandarts said...

You were his Angel! Isn't that wonderful how you ended up at the right place and the right time??

I had that happen to me one day, my neighbor was coming home on her lunch break and found my daughter wandering down the street with her companion (our dog). I nearly vomited when I realized she had escaped. Wow, it's a mom's worst nightmare really. Your post brought a lot of feelings and memories rushing back.
So glad you were there.

kat coyle said...

Thank goodness you kept walking! My son hid from me one day and wouldn't answer when I called. I was frantic, and ran down the street yelling his name. It turned out fine, since he wasn't running around but hiding in my car. No doubt the mom of the baby you found did have a good cry.

Ruth said...

oh my! thank goodness for *you*! what a frightening adventure for that poor mother - luckily it had a happy ending.

Allison said...

the comment above is *me* by the way. i don't know why blogger calls me ruth sometimes - weird.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fascinating and wonderful story! That must have been a very unexpected walk, to see a baby all by himself chasing his shadow down the sidewalk. I'm so happy that the Mother promptly came to retrieve him and all is well. I am so glad that it was you walking down the street this morning, and not some creepy person who would kidnap him. You hear of missing children all the time, and I am so glad that he did not end up one of them! Good work my friend!

Danielle said...

Aw, that gave me happy shivers down my spine... and an ache in the back of my throat.

Regina said...

Oh my gosh- what a crazy story. I know that mother must be so extremely grateful that you were there keeping her baby safe. I know I would be.

lil kim said...

it's always so strange when things like that happen - "i wasn't supposed to be here but was able to do this because i was". you wonder about all the decisions you make throughout the day - which tiny little split second decision might lead you down a completely different path. good you chose this one.

he sounds like a cutie. not clucky, are you? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that story. You had a guide whispering in your ear to find him. It's good that you listened. I'm not a mother yet, but I try to watch out for others' children.

When I worked in retail, there were many times that I would find frightened children, and I would take them to the customer service desk to make announcements looking for lost mommies.

Diane Duda said...

hey you good-deed-doer! thank goodness for your change in plans.

when you "misplace" your child for even a moment so many horrible scenarios run through your mind. in this case it sounds like you really prevented one of these from becoming a reality. i'm sure his mom is very grateful!

Anastasia said...

Wow! you were definetley meant to go that way...as a mum I know how quick they are to run off!..Im so pleased you didnt judge the mother as lots of people are quick to do especially people who dont have kids haha!

Rayne said...

Isn't it wonderful how things happen by 'coincidence'? I do believe that you were a guardian angel this morning.