Do you remember that series of Survivor Thailand a couple of years back, where the winner was Brian the used car salesman? A few episodes from the end each of the "survivors" got a video message from home. There were all sorts of families offering support and tearily telling their loved ones how much they missed them and that they were proud of them for getting this far, etc. Most of the contestants had families to support, their kids college fees to raise, farms to save, debts to pay off, or sick family members. The videos from home showed each persons story and struggle. Then it came to Brian's home video of his pretty little wife, who proceeded to take the camera crew on a tour of their extensive 2 story home, double garage and 3 cars. Then even took them through to show them all the lovely clothes in her wardrobe and a shoe collection to rival that of Imelda Marcos. The best part was when they asked if she wanted to pass on a message of support to Brian. Her reply was along the lines of "When you win baby, we're going to Fiji!" With the word "Fiji" in a high pitched cutesy voice. I've never forgotten it.
An-y-hoo...ahem...We're going to Fiji!
It's true! I almost feel embarrassed to say it, but it's true. Yes this mysterious holiday I've been alluding to all week is in fact a beachside escape to a Pacific paradise.
There's a story that leads to this point, but the short version involves a day of insanely late trains and me losing patience, quietly to myself, "Damn you trains, I'm going to Fiji!" (which we had previously decided not to do because we thought it was too extravagant). I still can't really believe it.
A good example of the getting lemons, making lemonade thing, which I'm now a big fan of. Because, you know, late trains = Fiji Islands, it's elementary really.
So, if it's a bit empty here next week, it'll be because I'm lying on a beach, bobbing in some water, or sleeping... or maybe eating seafood... or maybe trying kava... or maybe ambling around a marketplace. In any case I'll be here, (in this photo).Well, there's much to do before we go; packing and preening. Wish my razor luck, on legs that I haven't seen in at least 3 long cold Winter months. May the force be with you.










2 comments:
oh what amazing fun for you! what i wouldn't give for a fiji vacation. have a wonderful time! i am looking forward to fiji pics when you return - i'll enjoy a visual vaca at least ;)
oh wow! exciting! have so much fun! (by the way, this post was hilarious)
Post a Comment